SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 O'Day Daysailor which is in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, it was flipped on the mooring in a squall yesterday and the rudder was lost.

I have looked on DR Marine and for both the rudder head and the blade it will cost about $600... Ouch! Does anyone know where I might find a cheaper alternative? I could build one myself for a fraction of the cost but I don't really have the time this summer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
322 Posts
My in-laws lost the rudder off their DSI last summer and I spent all off season trying to source one. The people I contacted on Craig's list didn't want to part the boat from the rudder as it would make it unsellable. I ran out of time and had to order one from DR Marine for this season. It's almost an exact match with the only discernible difference being how the pintles are secured to the gudgeon once the rudder is in place. The new rudder uses a "safety pin" instead of the springs on the original.

Keep an eye out on eBay. The DSI and DSII use the same rudder, as does the Javelin. The DSIII is not the same setup, but it may be possible to modify it.

The only other new alternative I found was this manufacturer. Neat concept and slightly cheaper, but not by much.

O'day Daysailer High Performance Kick up Rudder Assembly, Rudder Craft Inc.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts