SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I got such great feedback to my request for opinions on 3DL sails that I thought I would ask for opinions on UK Halsey. I'll be using these for racing.

I have a quote for UK Halsey main and genoa. One option is Aramid film/film ultra kevlar (this is supposed to be comperable to 3DL) and the other is Aramid with internal taffeta ultra kevlar.

The internal taffeta is supposed to make the sails more durable but also heavier. It should also promote mold resistance, I am told.

People seemed to say that the North 3DL sails tend to get mold inbetween the layers and delaminate, but are otherwise excellent sails. What do you guys think of these?

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I have a UK tapedrive silver main. So far so good in the last year of using it. I do nto have the carbon, but the supposid one step down version with taffeta. No issues with mold etc. My only issue, ie the roach overlaps the back stay a bit, and I asked to have as much roach to just short of overlap. In light winds this is a PITA! Otherwise, not an issue.

marty

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have a tape drive main with Spectra tapes and I love it. I have not experienced any delaminating or other problems. Laminated sails are susceptible to mold growing between the layers. The only problem I’ve experienced here is a little mold growing between the glued-on UV stabilized trim piece on my Pentex genoa that I tend to keep on the roller furler. I try not to roll-up/flake wet sails (which isn’t too much of a problem in California</ST1:p), but if you live in an especially damp or humid climate, your experience may be different.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I see what you mean about the Ultra sails. UK Halsey seemed to have removed information about them. They have a page discussion the evolution of load path sails, and they start With Tape Drive as the first line. Then they skip right to Matrix, the third line. No mention of Ultra, but a little googleing found it. So I guess Ultra was the second.

I sent a note to the loft asking about that, thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts