SailNet Community banner

341 - 348 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got first two coats of bottom paint on today. Will finish up tomorrow along with the antifouling in black. Just a few small things to tidy up before taking her home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Finally got first two coats of bottom paint on today. Will finish up tomorrow along with the antifouling in black. Just a few small things to tidy up before taking her home.

not even thinking about being fit to paint anything, here. lol. been insulating the boat.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Insulating is interesting. What exactly are you doing there?

i am using half inch thick armaflex to insulate the hull from the deck right down to within a foot of the bottom of the boat. armaflex is waterproof, mildew and mold resistant, an incredible insulator and, very dense. it is the same black insulating material that is often used around refrigerant lines. it also comes in sheets.

we used to use it to insulate large air conditioning systems (for cooling computer rooms) at a job i used to work. i still am friends with a lady who still works there. there is plenty of large scrap because they use it to cover the tables in order to keep from scratching freshly powder coated panels, as well as an insulator.

my cost? nothing. usual cost? between 7 and 8 dollars a square foot. it's good to keep old friendships alive. you never know when it will work out to your advantage.

anyhow, you apply it with a 3m spray adhesive (although armaflex also has their own glue). the material is totally flexible yet very dense. so dense that i don't have to epoxy wooden stringers on the hull every few feet to be able to attach the paneling over the insulation. i just spray glue it right on. it makes a very solid surface.

the paneling i am using is totally synthetic. it's a flooring product that comes in 1/8" thick strips, 4" wide, like boards. it's already self adhesive but the 3m spray glue is stronger so i use that. for trim i am using pvc composite molding. looks like wood. easy care like plastic. all of it water proof and mold and mildew resistant.

for the 'ceilings' i am using 1/4" self adhesive armaflex and while vinyl sheets.

the v berth is all wood design sides with the white ceiling. the rest of the interior, back to the quarter berths, i am doing in a chair rail design; with wood up to the hull/deck joint, white molding at he top of that (the chair rail) and white vinyl above the molding.

the quarter berths are wood design sides and white ceilings, like the v berth. i am not finished yet (the insulation doesn't take long to do, really, but, the planking is very time consuming). however, the interior is already much easier to keep comfy cozy and, as i have added natural ventilation under the v berth and all the interior 'furniture (to allow circulation of warm air), moisture from the cold outside has dropped to absolutely nil. my bedding is never damp or clammy.

when i get some pics taken, i will post them.

previously, only the companionway hatch was insulated with it. last winter, snow melted from the entire boat because of heat loss from the warmth inside...except that hatch. it never melted free until it warmed up outside. it can be 0 degrees outside but, if you touch the armaflex inside, you won't feel a bit of the cold.

it should make a nice difference this summer, too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Hey. Just a quick update. The boat is still under construction but, getting closer to being done. I ended up getting an 8hp sailmaster outboard and it works just fine to push the boat along. I bought a used Catalina 27 mainsail and an using a used job, I believe from a Grampian but don’t hold me to it. Anyhow, she sails well. I bought a memory foam mattress from Wally World and cut it to fit the Vberth. Best bed I have ever slept in.

Pretty much lived aboard for a few months until I met a girl who also wants to live aboard and cut the lines and go cruising. ( I met her at the marina when I showed her and her, then, boyfriend the boat next to mine, for a friend who needed to sell it. That’s a real story all it’s own )We temporarily moved to philly to raise money and the boat is still on the bay.

Getting closer to being done and closer to my sailing/life goals.

Once I am done or nearly done, I will post some pics and give a run down of all that I have done. Things that worked and a few that didn’t.

I will be sailing her to a new marina, next week; one that allows live aboards and can actually haul my boat. One that’s even a bit cheaper, although I will miss the floating docks and my awesomely placed slip.

341 - 348 of 348 Posts