SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on the move to a high quality boat. Here's the criteria:

Right now I have a Catalina 36 which is exceptionally well outfitted for single handed coastal or Great Lakes sailing. Full suite electronics, bow thruster, new sails, cruising chute, etc. I do not want a bigger boat because I very often sail alone. I know I can handle a 45' boat single handed out of the harbor, but docking single handed in a 25 knot cross wind would be out of the question with a large boat. I have no problems with the 36' boat under any conditions.

I've looked at new Catalina, Hunter, Bavaria, Dehler, and the common French boats. None of them seem as well built as Catalina. Any switch there would not be moving up.

I like all the modern toys, I like modern hull shapes, I like swim platforms, I like a fair turn of speed. This seems to take the old slow classics out of the picture. That means Island Packet, Alden, Morris, Hood, Hinckley, Shannon, and other premium builders are of out of the running.

All I can find that in modern cruisers that are less than 39' LOA would be the Tartan 3700 and the Hallberg-Rassy 372. Both are fast but classic looking, yet have lots of modern comfort features. Are there others? What am I missing?

Looking for ideas.....
GTJ

·
19,484 Posts
Your query implies a healthy budget, but there's still a 'range' I think you need to define. And strictly new?? or lightly used? Willing to ship from Europe? If so that opens up a whole new world!

Don't know if you followed PCP's "Interesting Sailboats" thread, but the first few hundred pages will have some good info for you, though mostly eurocentric. Some very interesting boats built over there, few of which seem to be imported to N.A.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/62341-interesting-sailboats.html

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

How about something from J boat? If you want more performance but still decent accommodations there is the J111. If you want real good performance but more comfort there is the new J112E.

I also like Jeanneau, the Sun Odyssey 379 would be pretty nice.

Barry

·
19,484 Posts
Agree that some of the new Jboats should be on the list.. but I don't think Jeanneau is an adequate 'upgrade' for the OP.

He's pretty clearly heading for the next tier.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your query implies a healthy budget, but there's still a 'range' I think you need to define. And strictly new?? or lightly used? Willing to ship from Europe? If so that opens up a whole new world!.....
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/62341-interesting-sailboats.html
For new vs used, it's mostly a time issue. I'm 62 years old and the horizon is not far off for my sailing years. I'm very open to a lightly used boat since they seem to commission sooner. With a meticulous previous owner a used boat should be ready to go. It could easily take a year or more to get the bugs out of a new boat. Whoever buys my current boat will be way ahead of a new boat buyer in terms of throwing off lines and going places.

I'm also open to shipping from Europe, but I'm reserved on the smaller brand names. I don't want to have difficult with replacement parts on pumps, motors, and things like that. Aren't the docks in Europe fitted with 220 volts?

I noted comments RE Jeanneau. I've been on lots of those and I think it's really a Ford/Chevy thing. Not a significant step up. I mean, trade in a lead keel for an iron keel? Also, J boats are wonderful, but even the cruising models are pretty lean inside.

·
19,484 Posts
For new vs used, it's mostly a time issue. I'm 62 years old and the horizon is not far off for my sailing years.
If you're just 62, say it ain't so!! :eek: ;)

I'm also open to shipping from Europe, but I'm reserved on the smaller brand names. I don't want to have difficult with replacement parts on pumps, motors, and things like that. Aren't the docks in Europe fitted with 220 volts?.
I suspect that even on European boats (except for the shore power issues you bring up) that engines, pumps, etc are all going to primarily be mainstream brands like Volvo, Yanmar, Jabsco etc.

Sounds like you need to a)f ind the right boat, about 2-3 years old, and b) find one for sale that's had a similarly meticulous owner as yourself.

The latter, especially, may be a tall order! ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first thing that comes to my mind is X-Yachts; the Xc 35 or Xc 38 look like a sweet ride.

What is it about your Catalina 36 that makes you want to move up?
Xc 38 does look interesting. The interior does look very Ikea, like most of the low cost European boats, but the deck plan and rigging is nice. Tartan would be a slam-dunk if they got the traveler out of the cockpit. The Xc 38 has done that part well.

My Catalina does most everything very well and I like the boat. The wing keel is great for getting into shallow spots but I think they could have made it a bit deeper. The boat goes sideways a bit easier than I would like. Mostly I'm looking at getting into a better built boat. Higher end boats often have more organized wiring, better bilge access, better hardware access, and things like that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
For coastal cruseing I would want a boat that could snake up a small stream to hide from
a storm or dry out safely on a mud flat as the tide goes out. 39 ft seems a bit large. As above the English and French have a lot of costal sailors.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
We looked at the X 35c at Annapolis and very much liked it. A large step up from the generic European boats. Also a large step up in price.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you are looking at great build quality, then the Allerion Express 38 or the Morris M36x would be at the very top of my list. Neither will cross oceans comfortably, but they are amazing works of art that happen to be sailboats.

·
Silversailor
34 Posts
Have you looked at the Hanse 385 or the Dehler 38. Both offer a significant step up from the other production boats mentioned. The new Dehler is more racer oriented than the Hanse but both have comfortable cruising interiors and accommodations.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
+1 for Barry. I was surprised not to see Sabres mentioned as an option by the OP. While our J/36 passes them to leeward, they certainly perform better than a Catalina. Sabre joinery and accommodations are well done. The boats are well-built, comfortable, AND seaworthy. Certainly worth a look.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,

If you will consider used I would look for a Sabre 386 or 362.

Here's one:
2010 Sabre 386 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Barry
I appreciate all the suggestions and all provoke a good deal of thinking, but most are pretty easy to pass off. The idea of a Sabre 386 is excellent and one that I had not thought of. Certainly Sabre is far better built than Catalina, my current boat. Never the less, if I wanted move "up" with a switch to the particular used Sabre recommended I would have to be adding a few things that already exist on my middle class Catalina. Those items include a 12" chartplotter (not 9"), bow thruster, roller furling main, Sirius satellite weather, AIS transponder, reverse cycle air/heat, 4D AIS batteries, 140 Amp alternator, and a mast mounted whisker pole. That's probably around $50K upgrades. Hmmmm....

As regards the suggestion of Allerion Express 38 or the Morris M36x, those are both exceptionally beautiful boats. Very classic, very well built, but basically designed as a rich person's day sailor. Not much at all in terms of the conveniences of a modern coastal cruiser.

As regards the suggestion of Hanse 385 or the Dehler 38, all I can say is "Really?". Both are low cost production boats with Ikea style woodwork. Ok for the price, but certainly not better than Catalina. A new Dehler is less than $250K. I expect at new Tartan to be around $400K and a new Hallberg-Rassy to be on the wrong side of 500K before it gets stateside.

Let's keep looking......

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Tartan would be a slam-dunk if they got the traveler out of the cockpit.
Uhhh, the traveler on the Tartan 3700 is not in the cockpit, but rather forward of the companionway... Of the boats you've mentioned, the H-R 372 would be my personal choice, hands down, I really like that boat... But, of course, the traveler IS in the cockpit...

I'll never understand what seems to be a uniquely American aversion to having the mainsheet in the cockpit. You say you often sail alone, so why would you want it elsewhere? Few things make singlehanded sailing more inconvenient, than having the traveler/mainsheet controls out of reach from the helm...

J-Boats is one of the very few American builders that continue to stay with a cockpit mainsheet configuration. Somehow, I doubt it's entirely a coincidence, that J-boats might also very well be the one 'Brand' that might be LEAST likely to be seen motoring, when sailing conditions are favorable... :))

However, I think we know the real reason Americans eschew the mainsheet in the cockpit... They rule out the fitting of a full enclosure, of course...

:))

Seems to me the Tartan 3700 would suit you well... I'm not a fan of self-tacking headsails myself, but if you're doing a lot of solo sailing, might be worth it to you. Someone else already mentioned it, but if that's the sort of boat you're looking at, I'd suggest looking at the Sabre 386, I think that's a very sweet boat...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Never the less, if I wanted move "up" with a switch to the particular used Sabre recommended I would have to be adding a few things that already exist on my middle class Catalina. Those items include a 12" chartplotter (not 9"), bow thruster, roller furling main, Sirius satellite weather, AIS transponder, reverse cycle air/heat, 4D AIS batteries, 140 Amp alternator, and a mast mounted whisker pole. That's probably around $50K upgrades. Hmmmm....
Wait a second... You're currently sailing a Catalina with a shoal draft wing keel, and a furling mainsail, and are yet ruling "the old slow classics... Alden, Morris, Hood, Hinckley..." out of the picture?

Hmmm...

:))

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Shoal draft, furling main, would be major DEAL breakers for me.........

Sabre while nice boats, are not building sail boat any more, so you are stuck with used ones, hoping to find one that will meet your needs.

For me it is find interior plan I like, then go after brands with that floor plan, along with cockpit traveler for reasons mentioned, non furling main, jib might be nice, as long as I can remove the drum when racing. Along with a deep(est) keel I can get. But those are my specs thank you very much. For OP, figure out floor plan, then find brands that fit YOUR needs, not mine!

marty

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I was going to say hanse and morris but then saw you dont like them or say they are equal or less then a catalina which I find interesting

id take either over a catalina no questions asked

I love j boats but they are trully all race boats...they just cant design a comfortable cruiser, a racy cruiser yes but it would change too much of the j boaty feel

thats just my opinion...I have been on a 36ft j boat extensively down here in el salvador while the wood trim and feel is great its just a race boat, feels like one and sails like one
however I was surprises how nice it looked...inside that is...it had leather cushions...lots of varnish a mirror that opened up the feel of the cabin...etc...

the mast is thin as hell, rod rigging...light decks massive chainplates...etc...

lots of engineering going on on j boats...that wouldnt make a HIGH END coastal cruiser in my book

seems to me you are really looking for an oyster, or swan or high end boat. so look at those types...

good luck

ps I love some hallberg rassy boats...not familiar with the new new ones...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There's a Morris Ocean 38, and a few 36 Justine's in brokerage right now.

I'm biased, but these are both great sailing boats, built for cruising, easy on the eye and I can say for sure that single handing one in you're 6th decade on the planet is both possible and pleasurable.

Again, this is an extremely biased recommendation:D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.