SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there sailing community!

I've recently purchased a sailboat and am looking for sailing mentorship for myself and my daughter and wife. The boat is located in the Annapolis / Kent Island, MD area. I have boating experience, but not sailing. Ideally I was thinking it would be great to build a relationship with a very knowledgeable person, couple or "sailing family in between boats" that would be open to teaching us everything they know for trade in use of the boat for the season. Any other ideas are greatly welcomed. I've attached a photo of the boat.

Many thanks!

Dave

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,307 Posts
Hire an instructor?

Reactions: Skipper Jer

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is this some kind of a joke? If not all I can say is Holy Crap you certainly know how to jump right into things. If not for Covid I would suggest that you check out the Maryland School of Sailing but being the way things are it would be a good idea to take Eherlihy's advise and hire an instructor. Even if you do wind up with a mentor a bit of formal training would be helpful. The only other way is to do it like I did and just beat the boat up till you get the hang of it. You may not want to do that with a nice boat. I started out with a beater. Sailing the boat is the easy part. Taking care of the boat after you learn how to dock her is the hard part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your Contrarian, I appreciate the reply. I guess I should have been a little more elaborate on my boating experience. I've got approx. 10,000 ocean miles and have been messing with boats for a while, just not sailboats. I def know what it takes to keep them nice (use to be my job) and can park it, I'm just new to sailing that all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha. Thanks, it I've tried posting the photo in the upright position but it kept showing it flipped. At least It looks like it view correctly when it's clicked on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Eherlihy,

Yes, I've sourced out two separate instructors to work with and we are looking forward to working with them over the summer! I'm also looking to build a relationship with the right person or couple, family that we can pull knowledge from also.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I think you’ve got the right attitude .
Look around at the yacht clubs, they may have people
I don’t need a boat to sail as mine is enough, but would be willing once the Covid thing abates some to spend a few days with you on your new boat

Congrats on coming to the mellow side of boating😆😆😆😆

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for the positive reply Chef2sail, I really appreciate that! Yes, we are excited to say the least for the new adventures (the good and the bad)! Best to you - and wishing everyone some relief to this virus, and perhaps down the road we can get together! Dave

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,307 Posts
It looks as though you have the right attitude @dat. The man who knows everything learns nothing. A humble attitude sees the stage for knowledge and know-how that leads to success. I learn something every time that I go out in a boat!

I would suggest that an important starting point for you, as an experienced non-sailing boater, to learn is the points of sail;

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps an introductory book might be very helpful even before instruction. The American Sailing Association has one "Sailing Made Easy" or the RYA has one called "start sailing".

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,779 Posts
Ha. Thanks, it I've tried posting the photo in the upright position but it kept showing it flipped. At least It looks like it view correctly when it's clicked on.
Not for me, still upside down when clicked on. Looks nice but can't tell what it is. I have not operated a power boat besides a ski boat decades ago but have heard sailboats handle differently. I have always felt sailing a boat is easy, getting it back into the slip can be challenging. You might want to hire an instructor to teach you close-quarter maneuvering, that's what I did when I got back into sailing.

Another book suggestion. Annapolis Book of Seamanship. https://www.abebooks.com/Annapolis-...njMEVTogiUdItMvDksh9X9Mq6fob-t0BoCHIAQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Is this some kind of a joke? If not all I can say is Holy Crap you certainly know how to jump right into things. If not for Covid I would suggest that you check out the Maryland School of Sailing but being the way things are it would be a good idea to take Eherlihy's advise and hire an instructor. Even if you do wind up with a mentor a bit of formal training would be helpful. The only other way is to do it like I did and just beat the boat up till you get the hang of it. You may not want to do that with a nice boat. I started out with a beater. Sailing the boat is the easy part. Taking care of the boat after you learn how to dock her is the hard part.
Not exactly a warm welcome for a new poster...

I don't see this is as a joke at all. If I were a boatless sailor I would have jumped at this offer.

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Not exactly a warm welcome for a new poster...

I don't see this is as a joke at all. If I were a boatless sailor I would have jumped at this offer.
I don't see this as a joke either. Many of us long time sailors learned how to sail due to the generosity of our fellow sailors. When I was a kid and did not own my own boat, on a number of occasions I made deals with boat owners to provide the labor to maintain or manage the maintenance of their boat in exchange for the use of the boat. Some of these people I taught to sail and how to maintain their boats. Others it was simply about helping with maintenance. One man that I did this with had sailed for much of his life but had been through a surgery that left him too infirm to safely work on his boat or sail her by himself. It was a blessing for both of us.

These days I am currently mentoring people who are getting into sailing simply as a way of paying back all that the sport has given me over the years.

Jeff

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
I didn’t take his ask as a joke either. I am where JeffH is too. Getting new people involved in sailing has always been an goal of mine. Mentoring is the best way I can see to give back. Talk is cheap.....actions speak volumes.😁😁😁😄😄😄😄

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,307 Posts
I don't see this as a joke either. Many of us long time sailors learned how to sail due to the generosity of our fellow sailors. When I was a kid and did not own my own boat, on a number of occasions I made deals with boat owners to provide the labor to maintain or manage the maintenance of their boat in exchange for the use of the boat. Some of these people I taught to sail and how to maintain their boats. Others it was simply about helping with maintenance. One man that I did this with had sailed for much of his life but had been through a surgery that left him too infirm to safely work on his boat or sail her by himself. It was a blessing for both of us.

These days I am currently mentoring people who are getting into sailing simply as a way of paying back all that the sport has given me over the years.

Jeff
Not to speak for @contrarian, but I believe that the "joke" contrarian refers to is that the image of the 30+ foot sailboat that @dat purchased appears keel side up.

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
Not to speak for @contrarian, but I believe that the "joke" contrarian refers to is that the image of the 30+ foot sailboat that @dat purchased appears keel side up.
I see your point about what Contrarian may have meant. But since two of us drew the same conclusions about the post, I think its helpful to have this discussion in public.

By the way, that is a 40 foot boat and maybe a 42 foot boat. That is a very big boat to try to learn to sail and maintain as a first boat. Contrarian's suggestion about buying a small beater was a very good point as were some of the suggestions that Dat take formal lessons.

Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
Am I the only one that has not been able to view attached thumbnails? At the lower left of the post all I see is text that reads attached thumbnails. Not only just for this thread but any that I read lately.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Initially I did think it was some kind of a joke albeit a very sophisticated one.I thought the upside down boat was rather clever and it lead me to doubt the sincerity of the post. Latter posts by the OP convinced me that he was in fact serious and I don't believe that he took offense to my post. I got the impression from his posts that he may have been former Navy, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine or other professional mariner which would make the scenario he described more plausible in my mind. I know there may be some people that would jump right into a 38-42 sailboat without prior experience but my guess is that they would be the exception and not the rule. I don't find the request for a mentor to be a joke in and of itself but the timing of it considering everything that is going on with covid in the D.C. metro area right now did strike me to be a bit odd. Perhaps that sort of thinking is irrational on my part or maybe it's just my lack of ability to accept the fluidity of Normal these days. Guess I'll just have to put on my big boy pants.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Initially I did think it was some kind of a joke albeit a very sophisticated one.I thought the upside down boat was rather clever and it lead me to doubt the sincerity of the post. Latter posts by the OP convinced me that he was in fact serious and I don't believe that he took offense to my post. I got the impression from his posts that he may have been former Navy, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine or other professional mariner which would make the scenario he described more plausible in my mind. I know there may be some people that would jump right into a 38-42 sailboat without prior experience but my guess is that they would be the exception and not the rule. I don't find the request for a mentor to be a joke in and of itself but the timing of it considering everything that is going on with covid in the D.C. metro area right now did strike me to be a bit odd. Perhaps that sort of thinking is irrational on my part or maybe it's just my lack of ability to accept the fluidity of Normal these days. Guess I'll just have to put on my big boy pants.
No harm no foul😁😁😁

1 - 20 of 24 Posts