SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Do you need color? I would prefer a small laser printer as the consumables are way cheaper and the output is fairly waterproof. Even water resistant ink jet will run if it gets damp.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
d-
The cabin heat won't bother them, the humidity will. Lasers these days are better about stirring and drying the toner in the cartridge, but like all electrostatic copiers (i.e. Xerox machines) a highly humid environment will interfere with the static charge/transfer.
And of course the high impulse power draw while the fuser section is operating may be more than some inverters can supply.

Many of the HP inkjets are using cartridges with a "counter" built in. After so many pages, they go dead whether there is ink in them or not. and they can't be refilled, because the counter says they've been used up. Which also means that if you're stuck somewhere and the carts you need aren't on the shelf, you're totally SOL.
So for a traveler it might pay to buy an NCR refill kit (<$20 at WalGreen's) and see what make and model printers you can use it with. There are many that aren't "protected" as meanly as the HPs. Refill kits are messy, but if you aren't staying near an "inks-r-us" store....they can be useful.
Yea, lasers do pull a bit of current. I know they can cause a battery back up to freak out, we had some clients do that. Every time they printed there server would power cycle!

Now I had an Epson R200 with bulk ink set up. That was awesome, I printed thousands of pages. Color was off, and I could never really get it corrected for photo printing, but otherwise was great. But I would not want that on a boat, because if the bulk reservoirs got above the print heads they would leak. I actually threw it out with 20% of the ink left because I did not have room for it after moving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.