SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to sailing. The only boat I've sailed on was about a 22' day sailor. I'm 15 and I live in north Mississippi just off the tenn-tom waterway. I'm looking for a boat I can single hand but can also take a friend or two with me. I want something that I can learn on, but not something too slow so I won't just get completely bored going really slow. I intend to pursue a career in naval architecture so designing and building my own boat isn't out of the question. I'm also homeschooled so sometimes I'd like to be able to just cruise and maybe take a book to read. Is that even a possibility? Also advice on tools to use to help me learn would be good (simulators, books, videos, websites, maybe even some kind of summer camp). Also if anyone knows a sailing club or something like that in the area that would be helpful.

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
Boat wise, I would suggest a Rhodes 19; they should be cheap enough, if available in your area.
The book I highly recommend is Royce's Sailing Illustrated. It's been an excellent and FUN way to get friends and crew into sailing since the 60's, without all the tedious lecturing and "my way is the only way" junk of most learn to sail books.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a Catalina 22. They are plentiful, sail reasonably well, and you should be able to find one easily.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I second the Catalina 22, as it was my first sailboat. Catalina still makes the 22, they have an active sailing community of 22 owners, and many clubs organize one-design regattas for them on weekends. They are also easy to trailer. My wife and I lived on ours during the weekends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts