SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for someone with a boat in E. Wisconsin, Western Lake Michigan that I can tag along with to sharpen my skills and get some time on the water. I took a Sailing Charter Certification Course through Sail Boats Inc. 2 summers ago but have'nt been out since. I don't really know of anyone with a boat, and the charter companys won't let me take a boat out witout more experiance and not very helpful in getting experience, such as supplying an instructor. Seems instructors are scarce in this area. I hope to charter in the BVI's this winter, but need some practice first. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are many opportunities in Milwaukee. First one can join the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center. Circulate a flyer around McKinley Marina and South South Shore Marinas to crew for racing, Mondays, Wed, Friday and Sunday. There is also a listing for DockRats, people available for crewing. I Think there is a link from the community sailing center web page. You might also contact MAST and get you name posted. That is a Friday night racing group. Good luck.

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Was Sail Boats Inc. US Sailing or ASA certified? Those are the two major teaching organizations that Charter outfits recognize. Another question did you go thru the bareboat course or just a basic keelboat course? You might want to contact the school you went to and ask their advice.

Another (more costly) option would be to make your first charter a skippered charter. You could learn a lot that way and still get to do as much sailing as you care for.

michael

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that Sailboats Inc. is part of US Sailing or ASA. The course was an actual charter certification. I had a basic keelboat prior to that. Sunsail will let me take a boat in the BVI's, but I'd like to get some practice first, for my own benefit. The local charter companys(mainly Sail Boats Inc.) are the ones that won't let me take a boat out unless I have an instructor, and they don't have any instructors available in my area. Even if they did it's not very cost effective, as there is a minimum 2 day rental, plus the instructor. My best bet would be to find someone locally, with a boat, that can take me out.

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Besides the recommendations that Mark1948 made you might try checking in with the harbormaster of a marina or two (in person). I can't count how many times I have been in the harbormasters office. or the boat brokers office next door when someone pops in to say hi. HM asks if they are going out, sailor sez no, I have no crew, and 40' is just too much for me to singlehand. Its a common song. If you can handle a line and have basic skills someone out there could use your help.

Let us know how it works out
michael

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I am looking for someone with a boat in E. Wisconsin, Western Lake Michigan that I can tag along with to sharpen my skills and get some time on the water. I took a Sailing Charter Certification Course through Sail Boats Inc. 2 summers ago but have'nt been out since. I don't really know of anyone with a boat, and the charter companys won't let me take a boat out witout more experiance and not very helpful in getting experience, such as supplying an instructor. Seems instructors are scarce in this area. I hope to charter in the BVI's this winter, but need some practice first. Anyone have any suggestions.

Post an add on Craigslist.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I have an add on craiglist and did post a notice on the board at the marina. I did'nt speak directly with the harbormaster though. Will try that next. Also will try and find any sailing clubs in Manitowoc or Green Bay. Milwaukee is over 2 hrs away. I'll get out on the water somehow. Just have to keep networking.

·
Badger Sailor
189 Posts

Thanks
Little Chute isn't that far away from sailing opportunities. I live on the west side of Madison and sail a couple days a week out of Milwakee's South Shore Yacht Club.

Just about every yacht club in your area has regularly scheduled racing schedules. On any given day/evening, skippers are looking for additional people to help crew. This is a great way to network. Close to you are:
Green Bay Yacht Club Home Page
Oshkosh Yacht Club Welcome to the Oshkosh Yacht Club Home Page
Manitowoc Yacht Club Manitowoc Yacht Club
Sheboygan Yacht Club Sheboygan Yacht Club

A little further away is the Port Washington Yacht Club Port Washington Yacht Club

Five yacht clubs get together and sponsor a day of sailing this Labor Day weekend at Port Washington. Sheboygan and Milwaukee's South Shore Yacht Clubs run a night race from their respective cities to Port Washington Friday night. There is regatta racing off Port Washington on Saturday. You might try hooking up with a boat owner out of Sheboygan.

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
Sailing experience.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience, why don't you start out on Lake Winnebago, and sail there first. There is a yacht club in Neenah (Neenah Nodoway Yacht Club) that is always looking for new members. It's been around forever, and is really reasonable to join. They have Tuesday night beer can races, cruises throughout the summer, and there is always someone looking for crew. It's real close to your home, and a good time. Check out their website at Neenah Nodaway Yacht Club > Home The Harbormaster is Rick Milan, and Chris and Mary Volkman are two of the best people you could meet. Their email addresses are on the website, contact them. If for some reason you can't contact them, PM me, and I'll get you their numbers.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts