SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll post some pics when I get back later today. I have a 72 tartan 30 and am looking to redo and fix up the interior. The wood is peeling and I assume there is not easy way to re varnish it without making a mess. Do I just have to bite the bullet and sand everything down and make the mess or is there some easier way? Open for ideas.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'll post some pics when I get back later today. I have a 72 tartan 30 and am looking to redo and fix up the interior. The wood is peeling and I assume there is not easy way to re varnish it without making a mess. Do I just have to bite the bullet and sand everything down and make the mess or is there some easier way? Open for ideas.
There was a thread about the interior teak on here a while ago. Someone mentioned the use of Minwax Wipe-On poly and I decided to try it. I was pleased with the ease of using it and the final look after a couple coats. Here's a couple pictures showing the product's appearance on my teak.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it the wood that is peeling or the varnish from the wood? If the veneer is peeling some is sold on ebay, if just the varnish I had excellent luck with a heat gun just be careful not too HOT it can cause the veneer to lift.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
A picture would be very helpful to show what the issue is. Peeling varnish or peeling veneer? Big difference.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, its peeling varnish. I dont believe the 72 has veneer. As far as I know its solid wood. A heat gun and scraper does sound a little better than a sander. I will get a pic up. Forgot to snap one yesterday.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You might try 3M Safest Stripper - it's a non-toxic chemical stripper which doesn't produce horrendous fumes. It takes a while to work, but it does work. I would try that, together with a cabinet scraper.

Don't use a simple paint scraper - you can put big gouges in the wood. You need a carbide scraper or proper cabinet scraper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.