SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

We have a Bristol 35.5 (1982) with a Universal Diesel 24 HP motor - M30/5424. We are in the process of replacing the heat exchanger - and are worried the exhaust manifold might be bad, too. We have been looking all over trying to find one. Apparently Universal/Westerbeke stopped making them in 2004. We are now on the hunt for a used one somewhere out there...

We would appreciate any leads toward this part (oem#299885).

Thanks so much!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Caleb--it's a brilliant idea...and one I already tried. We do frequent the tractor store here for a lot of motor stuff--unfortunately the exhaust/cooling system for these motors is one of the few things that are quite different in marine world from tractor world. *sigh*

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Thanks Caleb--it's a brilliant idea... unfortunately the exhaust/cooling system for these motors is one of the few things that are quite different in marine world from tractor world. *sigh*
d'oh! I should have known that. How many tractors do you know of that are raw water cooled?
I have saved a bunch of money in the past by going to the tractor guys for Kubota parts on Universal engines: glow plugs, injectors, water pumps etc. Kubota does not carry everything that most Universal diesels came with though - hence, the marinized diesel engine.
Maybe you could use an exhaust manifold from a similar but different Universal/Kubota block engine with some extra fittings? Check out Yanmar & Westerbeke engine exhaust manifolds too. They might be "adaptable".
Another option, if the part is not too big, is to bring your old one to a CNC metal shop and have them make up a replacement (or 2).

Now I'm all out of ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good ideas. A friend jokingly suggested I take metal shop and learn how to make a new one myself...that's sounding pretty reasonable right now, too!! :)

The hunt continues for now!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I also have the M30/5424 and am wondering if you found an exhaust manifold? Even if you do it might be huge$$. I also replaced my heat exchanger because she ran hot at full steam trying to get through woods hole. I upgraded to the 3 inch and now she runs too cool...go figure.

I'm currently looking into a new oil pan as mine has flaked a lot of rust...they are available from the tractor types...

cheers Ben

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
try Beta Marine... They also "marinize" Kubota diesels.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Only aftermarket I've found is bowman in the UK.. shipping I'm sure would be a killer deal breaker.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you find a solution, please let us know. I'm sure I'll need one for my 5424 eventually, I think mine is original and hence, 30 years old. I might be interested in buying one myself as a spare.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Shudder, shock and awe for me saying it... maybe dry exhaust (tractor manifold) is better then not having an engine to run?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,186 Posts
The Universal Model 5424, a 68 cu in, 24 hp, 3 cylinder, based on the Kubota D-1101 block, was built from 1977 to 1983. Replaced by the Model M-30, which was produced from 1983 to 1987. The Model M-30 was the same size, but later M-30 engines were based on the Kubota D-1102 block.
and

The D1100 / D1101 / D1102 are basically the same engine with maybe different external options like sumps ,manifolds etc and maybe different governor springs.The A indicates that the engine was originally built for agricultural use.
An H in the prefix indicates that the engine was designed to run at "higher" speed (whatever that means).

The Beta 30 is based on the Kubota D-1105. Pretty close IMHO. I would bet that a call to Beta Marine [(877) 227-2473] would provide you with an answer about whether the exhaust manifold from the Beta 30 would fit your M-30.

Another option would be to try Nanni.

The Nanni N3.30 is also based on the Kubota D1105. The nearest Nanni dealers to Santa Cruz, CA are:
DALLAS HOLT CENTRAL COAST SERVICE
P.O. Box 128 San Miguel, California 93451
Phone: 805-467-2326
Email: [email protected]
Service: Engine Selling, Repair

BOTT MARINE
7 Gate 6 ½ Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965
Phone: 415-331-1341
Email: [email protected]
Service: Engine Selling, Repair

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
i installed a 6 cylinder diesel from an army 6x6 truck in a pilot boat. in place of the air compressor i mounted a sea water pump. i made a heat shield for the dry exhaust manifold. you could not use this in a confined space because it heats the air around it.

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
Good Morning
I am in the process of looking at a 1981 Pearson 35 with the same engine, Univ5424 with high hours...2440.
The heat exchanger has been replaced..When???
Did you ever find the manifold that you were looking for?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Heat exchangers are no worry, easily obtainable. Also 2440 hours is not high. A well maintained diesel will do 5,000 to 10,000. Sherwood raw water pumps are getting dearer as they get rarer, but the Oberdorfer fits as a substitute.

The real problem with that engine is simply age. Regardless of hours, there is a finite life.

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
Thanks Mark,
Nice to know...I am VERY confident that the TWO original owners have taken GREAT care of the boat..So "maybe" the manifold will not be an issue...The only reason that I ask about the manifold is "I THINK" the seller mentioned something(????) about it.
Well ...I'll find out in about a week or so :)
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Bill,

If you're lucky when they replaced the heat exchanger, they used the larger size. The 5424 had a slightly undersized one, 2.5 inch, and you can fit a 3.5" as an upgrade.

I still have the smaller one and it's not a problem in colder waters. In the tropics, it would be.

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
It seems like a Universal M30/5424 Exhaust Manifold is hard to find or non-existant. Should this fact take all those old boats on the market off my list of boats to look at and possible purchase??
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Welding up a custom manifold is not that difficult.Fit flanged pipe stubs on spare head or in situ and tack through holes in one side of what will become the containing box. Weld larger dia connecting pipe thru end plate of box to be and put on 3bolt flange for riser. When all welds are good, finish the other 3 sides and end with welds and include a rad type cap on top and female threaded fitting each end for fresh water in and out. Leave flanged stubs just long enough to get bolts thru Add gaskets and fire her up. Incidentally , minimum engine temp should be controlled by the thermostat, not the bigger heat exchanger.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
OK, if I'm wrong on this, I'm sure someone will tell me...
Since the engine has a heat exchanger, then the engine is FWC. Assuming it is a full FWC system, meaning cooling water with anti-freeze is running thru the manifold as well as the engine block, the manifold should last the life of the block and doesn't need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts