SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 13 years old and I am looking to buy my first sailboat for next summer. I am hoping to get a fast, double handed dinghy (with spinnaker and trapeze) that can be single handed in the future. (I weigh 110lbs now)

I have been sailing for five years, 4 on a sunfish and 1 on a 420. I love the speed of the sunfish and the spinnaker and trapeze of the 420. I believe I am a very good sailor for my age so it can be a fairly challenging boat.

I have been looking at the 29er because it is labeled a "youth" boat but at the same time fast, exciting, and challenging.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,064 Posts
I would suggest that you look around and see what on-design racing classes exist in your area. The most exciting sailing is not always in the fastest boat, but often is in the most competitive class. Different areas of the country and work prefer different one-design classes. Racing in a one design class you will learn more quickly and the boats and gear will show up on the market for less money as people move on to other classes.

If there are no other classes in your area, and if you felt compelled to buy a new boat, then something like the O'Pen Bic Class http://class.openbic.com/ looks like a neat little boat.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest that you look around and see what on-design racing classes exist in your area. The most exciting sailing is not always in the fastest boat, but often is in the most competitive class. Different areas of the country and work prefer different one-design classes. Racing in a one design class you will learn more quickly and the boats and gear will show up on the market for less money as people move on to other classes.

If there are no other classes in your area, and if you felt compelled to buy a new boat, then something like the O'Pen Bic Class http://class.openbic.com/ looks like a neat little boat.

Jeff
Thanks for helping and replying so quickly. I agree with you but unfortunately, my local yacht club only has optimists and 420 and I am signed up for lessons in the 420s in the summer. Both fleets are very small, about 5 420s. We also sail in mixed fleets a lot on wednesday after lessons.

I think the main use of this boat will be with my friends from the club and maybe after I get the hang of the boat, I will bring some of my friends from school who have at least some sailing experience.

Do you know how 29ers sail? Do you know if it would be a good boat?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts