SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the feelings of Sailnet members toward buying a boat off shore. I know the US and Canada seem to be fairly compatible trading partners and deal more frequently between each other.

How about buying outside NAFTA, say Trinidad or Turkey or New Zealand or the USA from those places. How does one legally protect one's self from fraudulent collusion and or incompetent representation, yet alone against the obvious risk from language barriers, especially with New Zealand.;)

Is it just best to shop close to home, or can a bargain be worth the risk?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I looked at buying in Canada since I am across the lake in NY. There was no issue whatever IF the boat was originally made in either Canada or the US (or any other country in NAFTA but they dont make boats so it isnt an issue). So, I was looking at a used CS36 and it could be bought in Canada for export to the US without paying Canadian tax (though NY would get their bite when I arrived if I were to register it there). However, if I were buying a boat made in, say, France, then the rules are whatever they are for importing a boat from France even though I bought the boat in Canada. NAFTA has "rules of origin" that apply to things made within the area vs. those made outside.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
The main problem I see is that unless you find a very exceptional value, what you save on price, can be easily eaten up in other costs. Be they of a legal nature, commissioning/transport, or simply getting back and forth to make the purchase.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
The other issue is the boat itself. Is it free and clear of leins and is the ownership unencumbered? Was it an insurance boat written off after a hurricane and then repaired without disclosure that you will find it impossible to insure? Is the surveyor you can trust or a local in cahoots with the seller/broker?
Of course, it is entirely possible to get a good boat and a good deal, but you need some extra vigilance to protect your interests.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
The other issue is the boat itself. Is it free and clear of leins and is the ownership unencumbered? Was it an insurance boat written off after a hurricane and then repaired without disclosure that you will find it impossible to insure? Is the surveyor you can trust or a local in cahoots with the seller/broker?
Of course, it is entirely possible to get a good boat and a good deal, but you need some extra vigilance to protect your interests.
Cam make a very good point. I know of a New Jersey boat yard that buys Insurance write offs from the islands. Once repaired they are moved and sold in Canada there by getting around the Salvage title if it was sold in Jersey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts