SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently moved to St Kilda, Melbourne and I really want to get out sailing here.

I used to sail Lasers and Hobie Cats mostly for fun but I did do a bit of race training too when i was younger.

I've tried googling places to hire sailing dinghies near here, but all i've come across is expensive sailing clubs. Anyone know where I can hire a boat from for a couple of hours?

Thanks!

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Hi ethoen, welcome to Sailnet.. and welcome to Melbourne!! Your timing is perfect - the sailing season is just starting. :)

St Kilda is right in the center of it all so you have a couple of options I suppose, depending on what you are interested in - the Lake or the Bay.

Lake: The Boatshed at Albert Park Lake used to hire out sailing dinghies but I'm not sure if they still do. Failing that, Albert Sailing Club has Lasers and is the friendlier of the two and I would ask there. Your other option (especially if it's cats you're interested in) is Port Melbourne sailing club, because many of the sailing clubs (though maybe not RMYS) will allow someone to hire a dinghy for a while..

Bay: To be honest, if you would like to get out on the Bay it'll be easiest to go crew on someone elses yacht. Port Phillip has a reputation for sudden nasty weather, so you're unlikely to find anyone hiring out a dinghy south of St Kilda pier (ie. outside Hobson's Bay) - it's classed as 'open water' and is subject to sudden storms so without any local knowledge is simply too risky.

If you're not into serious racing and just want to get out on the water for an hour or two, we sail with the Classic Yacht Association and would be happy to take you out. Next race is Sunday 18th October and we leave from RYCV in Williamstown at 9:00am and are back in by lunch-time.. just let me know.

Cheers, C

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, sounds like Port Melb sailing club will be the place to go.

Cheers for the invitation as well, I can't this Sunday, but soon I'll have a car and getting over to Williamstown will be a whole lot easier!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts