SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning All,
I am looking around and wanted to try to start planning for a future delivery. I would lke to have a captain transport a 28' Bristol sailboat from MD to GA. I am still planning the trip but so far I am seeing a 28 day to 8 week trip down the ICW. Is this an accurate estimate on how long it would take. Would going down the outside of the coast be any better wind wise or travel time. I have a large keel of 5'3" and about 2,800 LBS. Is there any suggestions on what I need or should have onboard for the trip. I am still a beginner so if more information is needed please let me know.
Thank you for your time and assistance.
Johnny and Ol Blu

· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually already own the boat, currently stationed as military in Maryland and will be transitioning out in May. I am hopeing to head home to GA but the time frame was making me nervous 15 days sounds a lot more reasonable thankyou eherlihy that is a relief.

· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Captain44,
I got your message but can not respond yet. I got the idea from a few old timers on the boats around my marina. I could always use more lessons so much to learn and prep for, but money is a main issue for me. I do not have an autopilot, is that able to be installed on a tiller or does it matter. What size charts would you recommend (scale wise). Thank you

YorkSailor, It does sound like a great trip the only worry I have was the time frame i was attempting to set up a job for as soon as I can. I orginally had the idea of following the off shore line all the way down since I have a deep keel but questioned that because i am not seasoned.

· Registered
6 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I considered trucking it down and still leaning towards that but cannot find a company around here and haven’t been able to find any recommendations. The 5'3" keel is seeming to be nice but difficult to accommodate.

I even looked around to see if I could rent a Trailer and find someone with a heavy duty truck. Is there any known companies out there to point me in the right direction for that route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.