SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got into sailing a few years ago and have some lake experience plus up to my ASA bareboat chartering certificate.

i am in my 30s and have a wife and a son and am looking to get a good boat for weekend trips/camping. We live in NJ right by NY and close to jersey shores.

looking into catalina 27 but not sure if it will meet my specs.

i am looking for a boat with good control, moderate speed, handle coastal cruising, not overly expensive to maintain and store.

any advice?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The Catalina 27 comes to mind :D. For what you are doing its a pretty nice package if you can find one in good shape.

·
Registered
90 Posts
1st Welcome to sailnet
2nd my advice would be to get as much boat as you can afford you will always want more room if you have a family on board as a small 27 cabin gets awful small with three people right after dinner when everyone is laying around.
3rd "not overly expensive to maintain and store" no such thing when we bought our boat we had a budget of around $500 a month to keep the boat up and in a slip then you find out small things coast $100 bucks a pop and larger items cost $1000 I cant wait till we find something BIG $$$
but the trade off is well worth it we weekend on the boat and love it anchoring in some out of the way cove is amazing
4th it its still cheaper than therapy

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
A C27 would be a great starter boat, but look at the C30 as well. Tons are out there and you will be amazed how much larger the interior is from the 27.

·
Lake Sailor
1,219 Posts
Depends on how much space you need and your budget. How old is your son? Look in to any of these Beneteaus; First 235, First 265, or the First 285. Great boats that hold their value.

·
2,449 Posts
just got into sailing a few years ago and have some lake experience plus up to my ASA bareboat chartering certificate.

i am in my 30s and have a wife and a son and am looking to get a good boat for weekend trips/camping. We live in NJ right by NY and close to jersey shores.

looking into catalina 27 but not sure if it will meet my specs.

i am looking for a boat with good control, moderate speed, handle coastal cruising, not overly expensive to maintain and store.

any advice?
Justin, welcome to SailNet.

The Catalina 27 should fit the bill. In addition to the Catalina check out the O'Day 28 and the Pearson 27. Both will be a bit more stable in choppy conditions than the lighter Catalina 27, but don't get me wrong, all three are good boats of moderate design.

What is your definition of "not overly expensive to maintain"? The biggest factor in older boats of this size is whether the current owner "loved" them. Well maintained boats are less likely to give you a nasty surprise. Neglected boats will have hidden gremlins that will cost you money and time.

Even if you haven't bought a boat yet, I'd recommend spending a day wandering around the Annapolis Boat show in October (Annapolis Boat Shows | The Nation's Largest In-Water Boat Shows).

Have you thought about where you want to sail? Water depth can be a big factor in your decision along the Jersey shore.

Best of luck,
Jim

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Justin, welcome to SailNet.

The Catalina 27 should fit the bill. In addition to the Catalina check out the O'Day 28 and the Pearson 27. Both will be a bit more stable in choppy conditions than the lighter Catalina 27, but don't get me wrong, all three are good boats of moderate design.
While O'Day and Pearson both went out of business some years ago, they made nice boats and should be considered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts