SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market to make my first sailboat purchase. Before I do, I'd like to go sailing with someone experienced on Lake St. Clair or Lake Huron. It's been years since I've sailed and I think going out would help me learn and understand some things that I need to know before making my purchase.

If anyone is looking for someone to go sailing with and wouldn't mind taking me along, that would be great. I'm 41, very capable and work from home with a flexible schedule. Also, I'm an not concerned about sailing in any kind of weather as long as that's ok with someone with little experience.

Disclaimer, I'm not new to boating. I captained my 35 Silverton for 1o years and have spend most of my life on the water. So, I'm not completely new, just new to sailing.

Thanks! Matt

·
Registered
570 Posts
Matt, can't help you in your area. If you do not get much response here, try some of the yacht clubs in the area. Bayview comes to mind. They may have some help.
If you have done both in your Silverton you know that LSC and Lake Huron are very different animals. LSC is smaller with lots of chop from traffic. Where are you planning on keeping the boat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey tomandchris. Thanks for the response. Indeed they are two different types of lakes. We anchor on St Clair most weekends with friends and the kids enjoy the swimming. I think my wife will remain partial to her 24 rinker for day cruising where I plan to be on the sailboat learning and taking longer trips.

While I work on my boat in the off season, I'll probably be keeping it on the hard somewhere in Algonac where I have property. Once I finally get it in the water, I have several options. I have considered on the Clinton River or on the St Clair River somewhere up near Port Huron. It's just a quick drive up 94 for me to get there. That gives me closer access to Lake Huron. I love the ports in Huron and there is plenty of room to sail. My plan to make my way north for the next couple years. Price will also factor into that equation also as I don't want to pay premium marina fees on the Clinton. Lexington and Sanilac are also options. I don't mind the drive and plan to stay on the boat for extended weekends. I work from home so as long as I have internet access, I can work from the boat in the marina.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey cruisingdream (Keith). Yeah, I am certainly interested to come along. Aside from this weekend, when do you plan to go out again? If you are on Erie still in Michigan, I assume you are somewhere by Monroe. I have no problem heading out that way. I'll PM you so we can make some plans. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Jack, If you're ever in West Michigan drop me a line. I go out most weekends and some weeknights. My boat is for sale as well, Columbia 29MkI even if not interested it's still nice to meet a fellow sailor and go mess around on the water. Cheers and happy hunting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
appick, thanks for the offer. I'd like to take you up on that this year. Since I'm new here I can't PM anyone until I have a certain number of posts. Which I'm working on. Where on the west side do you live? Possibly in the next couple weekends I could head out there. Would my wife be welcome to sail along? As for the boat, I'm interested in looking and sailing on anything at this point. Who knows, it may be exactly what I'm looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.