SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched boats to an Islander Bahama 24'. It came with the original mainsail which has one repair and is SERIOUSLY old. I also have a large racing-style kevlar mainsail that is much too large for the boat.

I am considering simply cutting the foot off of the kevlar main and making it my new loose footed main. I could also just run the old main until it blows out, and repair it repeatedly, but it is very old, thin, saggy and SLOW. Cost being a consideration, what would you do?

Buying a new main is probably not a viable option.

ISLANDER BAHAMA 24ISLANDER BAHAMA 24

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If the kevlar sail is in good shape, sell it and buy an appropriately sized main sail for your boat.

·
19,488 Posts
Do a cost comparison... recutting vs selling and buying another (possibly used) sail that looks and fits better. It may be difficult to sell the old sail - whoever buys it will have the same issues unless they own the same boat the sail was built for......

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Off the FX site, in conjunction with Sailnet, a basic dacron main can be had for around $900 with one reef, all partial battens, no insignia or boat numbers. Really not a bad $$ amount to spend. Of course, $900 for one person could be beyond there means, meanwhile another goes chump change!

Leads something to be said with the, sell the kevlar sail, and use that $$ to buy a sail that fits your rig!

You can get a 130 dacron inshore head sail for $700, a 155 $800. My feeling, for this little $ for a sail(s), new ones are cheaper than recutting the one you have, or trying to buy used ones not knowing what they may be like condition wise.

Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts