SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I recall, his first attempt failed just out of San Pedro due to a malfunction of the wind vane which in this case provided a small surrogate rudder.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Really good video. No fake drama. And the best tuna footage I've seen! This guy is a cool cucumber.
Cool cucumber is an understatement. If I had lost my rudder 1000nm from the nearest land I would have freaked out but not have the nerve to make a video.

Watched most of it. He seems like a character (what's up with his ears?).

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Almost didn’t watch, as the look of the skipper is too much. However, I made it through, in a few sittings. It’s pretty good actually. An hour long YouTube vid is not a good idea, however.

He does come across as cool under the pressure, but we’re not seeing an independent documentary. He decided to turn the camera on, when he wanted to. IOW, he had time to collect his thoughts and reactions.

·
Registered
Rhodes 45'
5 Posts
Interesting vid... I have never underestimated the rudder fail. I spent a night in the cold water after a Laser I was sailing lost the rudder in a capsize. Problem is, how to test a rudder for strength... Bash it?? 😂 I think a major start is choosing a strong design. One with a shoe behind a solid keg or keel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts