SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the developer's are at it again on the Georgia coast. They have presented yet another bill to dismantle all of the great heritage and public trusts sites along our 100 miles of Georgia coastline. HB109 allows for the DNR to start selling off pieces of Little Tybee, Wassaw, Ossabaw and the other unspoiled islands. Constant pressure from them may eventually turn those beautiful tidal estuaries into just another overdeveloped stretch of ICW.
I know that this is not just happening to the islands in my home state. South Carolina, Florida and all up and down the US Coast have been under pressure.

Cruisers bear witness to this all of the time and of course we suffer from the developers constant wish to restrict our anchoring rights.

Does anyone know if there is a way that we could collectively add our views and support the organizations throughout the country and the world trying to slow the advance of man's progress? It seems like every municipality, town, City, state and Country has a Jar Bolsonaro wanna be. Doing his best to open up the coast line for more "Progress".

For those interested and supporting the fight against them and if you have some time on your hands (I guess a lot of us do now that we are all stuck somewhere), here is the site to pester our Georgia legislators to "Just say no!" to these guys:

http://www.onehundredmiles.org/protectheritagepreserves/#/240/

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
All of our homes, offices and stores were built on something. I find it hard to suggest that our current stuff should be the last stuff.

However, I do sympathize with being smart about it. Where that line is drawn is different, by person.

What I would fully advocate for, is some kind of law or declaration that anchoring rights may never be challenged. It’s the same, when a housing development is built under the departure corridor of an airport that’s been there for decades. Then the new residents start complaining about airplane noise interfering with their afternoon soap operas, or whatever.

If they get approval to build, it should come with a restriction to prevent anchoring challenge. I know someone who owns property in dairy country and had to sign a document at closing that he fully accepted odor from dairy farms (which is like a mix of manure and sour milk) was to be expected and not challengeable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts