SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST got word that hurricane Odile, in La Paz Mexico took Gunter from us.

His body was found in his boat, sunk from the storm. He was last heard from when he was knee deep in water in the boat (I think) trying to abandon ship.

He was a GREAT GUY!!! When we were in La Paz, he would get on the cruisers net on Sunday mornings and relate stories to us. They were SO GREAT!!! Always had us rolling around laughing. I recorded a number of them and put them on a CD for him.

He will be missed a LOT!

Gunter in 2007......

His boat, Princess.....

One of the recordings I made for him....

Remember him in your thoughts.

Greg

·
19,488 Posts
Sad news...

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
Very sad.

It seemed a very severe storm. I saw video today of the devastation.

Mark

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, it's never comforting when one of our community members passes.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
JUST got word that hurricane Odile, in La Paz Mexico took Gunter from us.

His body was found in his boat, sunk from the storm. He was last heard from when he was knee deep in water in the boat (I think) trying to abandon ship.

He was a GREAT GUY!!! When we were in La Paz, he would get on the cruisers net on Sunday mornings and relate stories to us. They were SO GREAT!!! Always had us rolling around laughing. I recorded a number of them and put them on a CD for him.

He will be missed a LOT!

Gunter in 2007......

His boat, Princess.....

One of the recordings I made for him....

Remember him in your thoughts.

Greg
do you have a link to the video stories

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you have a link to the video stories
David,

They were audio stories he told on the cruisers net on Sunday mornings. I got the idea (after rolling around laughing) to record them. I then spun them off to a CD and did a cover & back to it. I gave the originals to him.

I have a copy of the ones I made for him, but later he set up to sell them and asked my to not post them so that he could may-be make a couple of dollars from the sails of them. It might be possible to find them on line some place??? If I see them I will let people know.

They are GREAT stories! WELL WORTH the few dollars he was asking for a CD! One story about how he got a Mexican insurance company to pay up was unreal!!!!! :laugher

Greg

·
2,449 Posts
Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Sounds like Gunter was one of those real characters of the Sea. I'm sure he went down fighting hard. Salutations. RIP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you confirm this is true? Guenter was a friend and this is very sad news. Latitude 38 posted that they did not find his body

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
I heard there are two more people missing

Just terrible.

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
4 people missing

Currently, four cruisers from boats anchored out at La Paz are missing, according to reports by Shelly Ward and others. They are Gunther on Princess, who was last heard from saying that water was up to his knees in his boat and that he was getting out. Gabriel, described as "a Mexican kid on the steel boat Damiana," has not been found; nor has his boat. Also missing are Paul and Simon on Tabasco II. Their boat sank sometime during the night and all that can be seen now are masts sticking out of the water.
From Latitude 38 with a full report and photos

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
Zee, did you come through OK?
yes we did. contrary to popular opinion, i aint deaded yet, and i am trying to figger out how to help these folks.... i found one way to help the general area, as that is necessary..most of the locals are very inventive and creative and get the housing situation and communication deals done fast... but there is still other stuff needed... water, foodstuffs, building materials, first aid stuffies, soap and more water....etc....
i hope the missing are found alive. it is a sad day to learn gunter is dead, despite my never knowingly meeting....r i p .....:(

YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance

SEPTEMBER 16, 2014 BY DIANE M. BYRNE
Hurricane-Odile-NASA YachtAid Global relief effortWhat Hurricane Odile destroyed in Mexico, YachtAid Global’ s striving to help replace. The non-profit aid organization already has one megayacht en route to the region to produce potable water. YachtAid Global is seeking more yachts, plus donations of much-needed supplies.

Hurricane Odile made a direct hit on Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on September 14. A Category 3 storm, it packed 125-mph winds and dropped six inches of rain. Its strength was unprecedented for modern times in the southern Baja Peninsula region.

Since YachtAid Global arranges humanitarian aid for coastal communities worldwide, its team monitored Hurricane Odile via news reports. On September 15, Mark Drewelow, the founder of YachtAid Global, posted the following on the organization’s Facebook page:

News from Cabo San Lucas. At 1730 today Cabo time I spoke with local Superyacht Agent Victor Barreda that many of you know. Victor weathered Odile at home and he and his wife and kids are ok. Town has no electricity and he says it looks like every building is damaged. If electricity doesn’t come back on then fresh water becomes a major issue quickly. We will post info as it comes into us. We have one 75 meter superyacht that will be deeply involved in an immediate relief effort focusing on producing 4000 gallons a day of fresh water for locals.

The same day, Drewelow spoke with the marina manager at Marina Cabo San Lucas. The marina is popular with megayachts and sportfishermen alike. The staff there also emerged unscathed from Hurricane Odile. However, as of this writing, there is still no electricity and no mobile-phone service in Cabo San Lucas. Building damage in the region is extensive; the airport, for example, is expected to remain closed through October. “The situation in the Cabo area is getting worse by the hour,” Drewelow tells us.

While thankfully YachtAid Global has “a lot in the works” for Hurricane Odile relief, Drewelow says, “every yacht big or small that intends to head south to Cabo needs to bring aid. Recovery will take months.” YachtAid Global is coordinating some efforts with Marine Group Boat Works, which has a facility in Cabo San Lucas, too. Marine Group Boat Works’ San Diego yard is collecting items that are of critical immediate need:

drinking water: “water is running out,” Drewelow says. “If power comes on or people get fuel for generators, water can start flowing again in extremely limited quantities.”
basic first-aid items like bandages, antiseptics and ointments, and hand sanitizers
food with long shelf life: beans, tuna, canned meat, boxed milk and other beverages
shelter: pop-up tents, rolls of heavy-duty plastic sheeting, canvas tarps, and small-diameter (¼- to ½-inch) ropes to secure the tarps.
If you’d like to donate any of these items, you can mail them to:

Attn: Cabo Relief/Leah Yam
Marine Group Boat Works
997 G Street
Chula Vista, CA 91910-3414

If you have questions, contact Leah Yam at Marine Group Boat Works at (619) 427-6767. You can also donate funds via YachtAid Global’s donation page.

Read more: YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance - Megayacht News YachtAid Global Providing Hurricane Odile Assistance - Megayacht News

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
If you can, please help out southern Baja! Here are a few options;

Yacht Aid

GoFundMe

International Community Foundation

Bisbee Cabo Relief Fund

Waves For Water

Locally in Mazatlan, there are centers set up to accept other donations. Things needed include; water, non-perishable food, baby food, diapers, baby wipes, blankets, clothes, pet food, medications, first aid supplies, toilet tissue, hygiene supplies, cleaning supplies, tarps, tents, building supplies, etc. Here are some drop off locations;

Secretary of Tourism

MAZATLÁN: Av. del Mar No.882 Fracc. Tellería. Teléfono (669) 981 88 83 Mazatlán, Sinaloa. México C. P. 82017

LOS MOCHIS: Ignacio Zaragoza 444 Nte. Edificio San Isidro Int. 7, Centro. Teléfono: 668 817-1922 Los Mochis, Ahome, Sinaloa. C. P. 81200

CULIACÁN: Av. 16 de Septiembre #1726 local A1 Colonia Centro, Sinaloa. C.P. 80129 (Frente Palacio de Gobierno)

TV Azteca

Senor Frog's

Diego's Beach House

DIF Mazatlan
Bosque de Ciudad

Palacio Municipal

Constitution #1029

Palacio Federal

Noroeste

El Debate

1 - 20 of 25 Posts