SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this message on my Standard Horizon VH Radio the other day when I tried to call out. What are some possible causes for this?

All three batteries were not maintained in the three seasons I've had the boat... due to my own complete ignorance. The starting battery, which I pulled yesterday was very low in water (I could see the plates and probably poured in close to 2L.) It still looked wet in there though?

I'll be pulling out the two house batteries for maintenance this weekend. Hopefully they're not doing as bad, but I suspect they are as that might be the reason for the Low Battery message. I definitely was able to use the radio last season, that's for sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Probably "end of life" for whatever battery you were using. Maybe get them checked by someone who can do a load test on them, but I've never seen one last long after plates have been exposed for a period of time.
2L is a lot even in a large 4D battery.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Probably "end of life" for whatever battery you were using. Maybe get them checked by someone who can do a load test on them, but I've never seen one last long after plates have been exposed for a period of time.
2L is a lot even in a large 4D battery.
Car parts vendors (Advance Auto Parts etc) usually test batteries for free.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
It think you answered your own question. New battery time.

Reactions: Vagab0nd

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yeah if your batteries got that low they are definitely damaged. Assuming your power connections are good as noted above, there us no way transmitting on your radio should cause enough voltage drop to generate a low batt alarm.

Learn to always keep an eye on your voltage. Flooded lead acid batteries do not like to be discharged below 50%, (12.2v).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts