SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Low-buck thread has proven to be a great home for little projects for little money. This is the home for bragging about little boats for little money.
Bought one?
Built one?
Rebuilt one?
The only rules are:
1. Investment under $399*
2. Pics or it didn't happen.

Here's mine:

let's see yours.

*Upon reflection the budget has been increased... still half the cost (or less) of most new dinghies.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's a nice dinghy BL. What model is it? I'm about to start my Chameleon nesting dinghy- my winter project! I won't qualify for this thread though, as it is sure to cost more than 300 bucks. I've just spent $150 on 3 sheets of 6mm marine ply and I haven't even shopped for resin and cloth yet. What is yours made with and how did you manage to keep it under $300?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You did that dink for under $300? Wait, you are Canadian right? Canadian dollar is worth 3 times US dollar? So I get to post a $900 dollar dink?

Nice dink, will check out links later.

Thanks for the info.

·
19,489 Posts
Nice,Thumbs! What does the finished product weigh?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's mine. It's just over $300 unless I claim that I already had the epoxy. I think you should raise the limit to $400.
Allthumbs--great looking dink and thanks for sharing the pics. Is it your design or did you have plans?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
John Welsford's Tender Behind design. About 350 USD. My first shot at stitch and glue. Rows well with room for two. Good capacity. Sails one.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Reactions: Ajax_MD

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
This is Blue Rose, the flat bottom canoe my son and I built together right before he went into the Army. It isn't a dink, but it fits the general theme of inexpensive home-made boats. I spent less than $200.00 on it, and the single most expensive item was the paint...

It has 1x12 pine sides (shaved down to 1/2"), a 3/8" plywood bottom, Douglas fir gunwales ripped out of a 2x4, a two-piece stem also of Douglas fir, and frames and transom of scrap oak I had laying around.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Love the lawn chair...Classic!!!

I don't have any pics but I just grabbed a sumner sailing dindhy for $100 (sans sailing rig of course)

I just wanted a tender to tow

1 - 20 of 49 Posts