SailNet Community banner

381 - 400 of 1613 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Sounds intriguing, but I don't get it.
It's a giant rubber band that snaps around the hatch and fills in the gap between the deck flange and the hatch top - the slot that sheets can hang up on.

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts
Here is my dinghy seat "upholstered" with a piece of Sunbrella fabric. I used contact cement to attach the fabric. It turned out so well that I think I will use the same method (contact cement) to make cockpit cushions for the mother ship. It's a lot quicker and easier than sewing, uses less material, and creates a perfectly smooth cushion top.

And here is a varnished rowing seat for my other sailing dinghy:

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few projects

I am very excited to have completed my folding table project. We desperately needed some extra counter space. Thanks to BLJones for the inspiration! I used edge grain fir, with a teak fiddle around the edge.
Fir about $10
Teak, recycled door frame, free
stain about $7
SS piano hinge, $15
Brass catch to keep it closed, $5 I think
Being friends with the high school shop teacher, priceless!

I managed to get a good colour match to the exsiting wood. The teak trim comes down far enough so that when it is folded down you cannot see the legs.

I stumbled across a piece of raw silk at the thrift shop, $20, so I made curtains with some of it. They are designed so that they can be in place when the ports are open as well. Thanks to someones blog for the inspiration on this one. They are on a piece of doweling, $5, with a small bungee strap, $10, to hold them on. So $35 for 8 curtains. The bungee just slides over the port. I don't really like the look of fixed curtains so this works well for me. When I don't want them up they can be stowed.

I made cushion covers with the rest of the material.

I also made covers for our lifesling and stern tie reel. I got some canvas at the boaters exchange for $10, zippers at the thrift shop, 25 cents, the strapping is from a lift of lumber and the plastic buckle is scavenged from a broken packsack. And I still have enough canvas to make 2 lee cloths.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Y'know, we gotta make some sorta delineation or demarcation between West Coast Low-buck and East Coast Low-buck. Y'all west coasters use clear fir and raw silk, while us east coasters use Sunbrella remnants and doorskin.
Roll how you roll... but keep rolling low-buck.
Thanks for the contributions.

·
Bill SV Rangatira
421 Posts
Y'know, we gotta make some sorta delineation or demarcation between West Coast Low-buck and East Coast Low-buck. Y'all west coasters use clear fir and raw silk, while us east coasters use Sunbrella remnants and doorskin.
Roll how you roll... but keep rolling low-buck.
Thanks for the contributions.
I use both on the west coast

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
Re: A few projects

I am very excited to have completed my folding table project. We desperately needed some extra counter space. Thanks to BLJones for the inspiration! I used edge grain fir, with a teak fiddle around the edge.
Fir about $10
Teak, recycled door frame, free
stain about $7
SS piano hinge, $15
Brass catch to keep it closed, $5 I think
Being friends with the high school shop teacher, priceless!

I managed to get a good colour match to the exsiting wood. The teak trim comes down far enough so that when it is folded down you cannot see the legs.

I stumbled across a piece of raw silk at the thrift shop, $20, so I made curtains with some of it. They are designed so that they can be in place when the ports are open as well. Thanks to someones blog for the inspiration on this one. They are on a piece of doweling, $5, with a small bungee strap, $10, to hold them on. So $35 for 8 curtains. The bungee just slides over the port. I don't really like the look of fixed curtains so this works well for me. When I don't want them up they can be stowed.

I made cushion covers with the rest of the material.

I also made covers for our lifesling and stern tie reel. I got some canvas at the boaters exchange for $10, zippers at the thrift shop, 25 cents, the strapping is from a lift of lumber and the plastic buckle is scavenged from a broken packsack. And I still have enough canvas to make 2 lee cloths.

Fabulous Frugality. You're like an order of magnitude cheaper than me, and I am freakin' cheap!

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts
I'm struggling to paint the deck, and re-bed all the deck hardware. These pretty projects are making me twitchy. Removable curtains are a great idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fabulous Frugality. You're like an order of magnitude cheaper than me, and I am freakin' cheap!

Trust me we spend plenty of money on our boat!!!!!! Just got away cheaply on these projects. All the other projects will not even come close to qualifying for this thread. :)

Tanya

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just finished reading all 39 pages...amazing thread

Bljones you do some fine work...now I have to start reading Dock Six ...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For the past year or so, I have been using a bluetooth receiver to stream music from my ipad or android cell phone via A2DP. It works great. I simply turn on this small device and plug it into the aux jack on my stereo and I can play tunes without being tethered. I really enjoy reading the bios in Pandora as the music plays. The downside is that the BT device is rechargeable and has a limited range. I had to string a long cable up into the cockpit in order to play music from there which is kind of pointless with a wireless device.

http://www.miccus.com/uploads/produc...jack1small.jpg

About a month ago the stereo died. So I went out and bought a Sony unit with built in BT. This also allows us to use the stereo as a speaker phone with our cells. But this unit also has a distance limitation and in the cockpit, the music would often cut out.

I did a little online research and found that the antenna in these head units are very small as they do not need to connect from very far because they were designed to be in your car which is pretty small.

I found that if I added an external antenna it should increase the range so I popped open the stereo and found the mini coax connecter on the BT module and connected it to a standard 5db gain 2.4ghz antenna(similar to a wifi antenna). I could now go to the boat in the next slip and stream my music all for about $25. I also gain by not needing a separate powered device.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Spreader lights,

When I was rerigging my Alberg over the winter i wanted to replace the not working 55w stainless spreader lights with LED ones. After searching the internet i was conviced i could not afford them...most were in the 150-200 or more at least the ones designated "spreader lights". One day while trolling a local marine store I spotted some underwater LED lights that claimed to be 600lumens for $30 ea, I figured why not. Lets hope they last. They only draw .2 ah, I finally got them wired in and working. Whatcha you think? Got $60 invested

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Spreader lights,

When I was rerigging my Alberg over the winter i wanted to replace the not working 55w stainless spreader lights with LED ones. After searching the internet i was conviced i could not afford them...most were in the 150-200 or more at least the ones designated "spreader lights". One day while trolling a local marine store I spotted some underwater LED lights that claimed to be 600lumens for $30 ea, I figured why not. Lets hope they last. They only draw .2 ah, I finally got them wired in and working. Whatcha you think? Got $60 invested
Cruiser,

Great picture!!

Do you have any closeups of the lights you used?

Regards,
Brad

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
Spreader lights,

Winning idea!

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Spreader lights,

You'll be really glad you bought these if you capsize! :p

Nice idea! I'll have to do that myself. Currently my spreader lights are tractor headlights I believe and turning the two of them on draws 12amps!!!

MedSailor

·
Registered
157 Posts
Okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When I raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day I built my own. Items required:
2 golf balls (free, out of my golf bag)
1 U bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)
1 old track runner (not sure what the technical term is, but free, sitting in a hardware bucket)

I drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the U bolt, then marked where I needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the U bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! a home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When i raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day i built my own. Items required:
1 u bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)
1 old track runner (not sure what the technical term is, but free, sitting in a hardware bucket)

i drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the u bolt, then marked where i needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the u bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! A home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!
totally fantastic

·
Registered
672 Posts
Okay, here is my latest low buck project. I have a 24 foot shark and almost always sail alone. When I raise the main, the bolt rope always jammed, necessitating me to go up and raise the sail by the mast, which is a pain, and not always easy in a nice wind. Pre feeders are about $80, so the other day I built my own. Items required:
1 U bolt (free, sitting in an old hardware bucket)

I drilled a hole in one of the golf balls, threaded it onto the U bolt, then marked where I needed to drill the second ball. Once drilled slid the U bolt through the track slide and then threaded the second golf ball on. And voila! a home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!

That's funny! Reminds me of the trailer hitch "balls" that hang down from the back of pickup trucks.

381 - 400 of 1613 Posts