SailNet Community banner

581 - 600 of 1613 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
More details please! How does one get from a relay, to an email being sent?

Being a recovering wooden boat owner, who is now not living aboard, I have an unhealthy obsession with bilge pumps and would love to have my OCD placated by knowing when they go off. :)

MedSailor
Medsailor,

I agree with your sentiments.

You need these to use my method:
1) WiFi access where your boat is.
2) Wifi (IP) webcam with external alarm input.
3) 12v to 5v converter (they are cheap) for webcam
4) 12v relay
5) wire going to bilge pump switch
6) wires and crimp connectors to connect everything
7) a circuit breaker switch that you leave on, or an in-line fuse
8) email address to receive alarms
9) electrical tape to eliminate webcam's pan and tilt
10) optional - long range wifi
and
11) you need to setup the webcam, including setting it up with your email address. This took me significant time to figure out. (It still takes me too long to re-do.) But there are resources to help. It needs to be done with a laptop.

Except the optional long range WiFi, all of the parts are under $100. I just saw some really cheap webcams on eBay that have the external alarm input. You get motion detection for free, by the way, with emails sent to you, showing the inside of your boat when something is detected.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
It sounds like a great idea but I can't help thinking "What would the Herreshoffs say about this?"

Could you get it to burn kerosene somehow? :D

·
Registered
109 Posts

Here is my low-buck boat lettering on my folding dinghy. I printed out the name I wanted on regular paper and carefully cut out the letters with an exacto knife. Then I taped the template on the boat and drew in the letters with a sharpie. Later I varnished over the sharpie-drawn letters to give them UV resistance.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Medsailor,

2) Wifi (IP) webcam with external alarm input.
IP and external imput on the camera. That's the missing link right there. Got it now! Thanks!

Now to make it truly modern the boat should have it's own Twitter hashtag and tweet when it's sinking. :D

MedSailor

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
Come on you guys, it's spring. I need some more inspiring cheapskate projects.

·
1979 C&C 30 MK1
107 Posts

Here is my low-buck boat lettering on my folding dinghy. I printed out the name I wanted on regular paper and carefully cut out the letters with an exacto knife. Then I taped the template on the boat and drew in the letters with a sharpie. Later I varnished over the sharpie-drawn letters to give them UV resistance.
Awesome job! Interesting folding dinghy BTW. Q: What brand is it?

·
Learning a bit every day
214 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
This is the standalone web cam I've been using at home:
Infrared Motion Night Vision Network Color Camera w/Pan & APM-J011

It has built in wifi and wired intenet. Although I have been using
the motion detection, it also has various IO pins.

/ed
Wireless night vision camera with it's own Wi-fi on a turret for $35??!! Wow, the electronics world never ceases to amaze me.

5 years ago, for $35 you could chose one of the above items for that price.

Anyone know of small stand alone LCD screens that could combine with one of these puppies (without the need for a computer) for an engine room camera?

Medsailor

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts

·
Fresh water refugee
160 Posts
The dog knocked my new Iphone 5 in his water bowl this weekend, don't ask,
I used a zip lock filled with rice as a cell phone desiccator. I think it cost almost nothing since I already had the dog, wet phone, rice and zip lock. :)

·
Have a go and DIY .....
109 Posts
Slippery when wet

Slippery when wet.

I have a real money saver.
The tiller and handrails that are used the most are somtimes slippery when wet
and quite hard to get a firm grip or hand hold.
I now use self amagamating tape wrapped a few times around a hand hold gives a very good grip and can be removed as and when required and replaced...

·
sv Cordelia
216 Posts
Nothing too fancy, but my wife wanted a way to lock the boat when we are staying on board at the dock.

Picked up a sliding bolt latch for about $4 at the hardware store. Not super secure, but an unobtrusive addition that matches the rest of the hardware.

It will help her sleep easier at night and at the very least, wake us (or the dog) up if anyone tries to pry it open. Also has the added benefit of being easy to undo should be need to get out.

I also oiled the teak slats this weekend - but did that after taking the picture.

Attachments

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I used a zip lock filled with rice as a cell phone desiccator. I think it cost almost nothing since I already had the dog, wet phone, rice and zip lock. :)
What I do:

Take the battery out. Put a vacuum hose on any obvious openings, let sit running for a couple hours. Vacuum with make water vaporate fast without using damaging heat.

I usually make sure I'm not near the vacuum for those hours, since the whole setup is noisy.

Regards,
Brad

·
Fresh water refugee
160 Posts
Brad,
Sounds like you have experience with this kind of stuff. My Iphone 5 was not designed to make it easy to remove the battery. It seems to be alive again but I utilized my warranty/insurance and a new one arrived last night.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Why was your dog using your phone?

Wait.... you're this guy??!!??

http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Our 15' Albacore is new to us, and hasn't been in the water in a few years. The previous owner said that the port-side seat (which doubles as a flotation compartment) sometimes takes on water. He tried tracking it down, but couldn't find the source. I haven't gone hunting yet (not sure how I'd do that, either), but when I had to throw the boat off the trailer, I did notice that the port side seat had a good bit of water in it. I used a hand pump to get most of it out, but I'm still a bit worried about how that will impact the overall bouyancy of the boat in the event it gets swamped.

While contemplating how to find and patch the leak, my mind started to wander, and I remembered the pool noodles I found at the dollar store. I went back there today, and purchased $25 worth of noodles to stuff into the lockers. I figure it's better than nothing, and might just help keep the boat from sinking the first time I launch her.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
While contemplating how to find and patch the leak, my mind started to wander, and I remembered the pool noodles I found at the dollar store. I went back there today, and purchased $25 worth of noodles to stuff into the lockers. I figure it's better than nothing, and might just help keep the boat from sinking the first time I launch her.
I know someone that used bundled pool noodles when rebuilding a kayak. Some noodles are closed cell and others are open cell. Both are buoyant, but the closed cell is preferable because it holds onto less moisture.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
I have one of those thick black rubber rubrails below my toerail that has a white tube of plastic sandwiched in the middle (the tube hides the screws). The other day I took a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and scrubbed the white part. It was really looking dingy ... now it looks like new. Total cost $3.00.

Note, I am always skeptical if those erasers have detergents in them ... I would hose of your hull and brightwork before that stuff stays on any surface too long.

581 - 600 of 1613 Posts