SailNet Community banner

1421 - 1440 of 1612 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding Hull Wax - recently put Treewax on our 46', 15yr old, white gel coat hull after compounding. Had better results in past with 3M Performance Paste wax. Does anyone know if there is an issue if we apply a couple coats of 3m Performance Paste wax over the Tree wax?

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Regarding Hull Wax - recently put Treewax on our 46', 15yr old, white gel coat hull after compounding. Had better results in past with 3M Performance Paste wax. Does anyone know if there is an issue if we apply a couple coats of 3m Performance Paste wax over the Tree wax?
Well normally you can put carnauba wax wax over synthetic, but not the other way around. I am not familiar with 3M Performance but it likely has cleaners that will remove the carnauba anyway. For Trewax to work it needs a very very clean and buffed surface as I don't think it has much in the way of cleaning agents. I am partial to Connolite Fleet wax/metal wax or Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax. Both will need a clean buffed finish as they don't contain polishes, though I think the metal wax does.

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
I haven't posted projects here for a while but thought you guys might like this one.

A new sail is definitely not low buck. But what if you could improve the shape of your existing sails for just the cost of a little whipping twine and your time?

Raising the shrunken bolt rope luff of your sails is inexpensive and can make a big improvement.

BEFORE

AFTER

Read how to do it in today's post on my blog, How to flatten the luff of that baggy old sail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I have a quick one that isn't perfectly finished yet. The head on my boat is at the end of the bed. Too close for comfort! So I made a simple box to cover it that also doubles as a bed extension. It works really well. I just need to have a proper pillow made for it. It cost as much as 1 piece of 48x48 ply wood does at Home Depot. Now that it worked so well I might redo it next summer with a nice piece of wood.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi,

I have a quick one that isn't perfectly finished yet. The head on my boat is at the end of the bed. Too close for comfort! So I made a simple box to cover it that also doubles as a bed extension. It works really well. I just need to have a proper pillow made for it. It cost as much as 1 piece of 48x48 ply wood does at Home Depot. Now that it worked so well I might redo it next summer with a nice piece of wood.

Jay
Nice, Jay.

You could get rid of the drop board channels and the hassle of dealing with the drop board after you pull it out by putting a piano hinge on the front of the cover and attaching the drop board to the other side of the hinge. Then the front and top would fold up and back as one piece. A barrel bolt could fix the assembly in position when either raised and lowered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cheap storage for those small propane bottles that you don't know how to store. I went to Home Depot and bought a three-foot piece of #10 PVC pipe the right diameter to hold the bottles, a glue on (I know it's called weld) bottom cap and an adapter and screw on top. Put it all together, drilled several holes in the bottom and attached the rig to one of the slanted legs of the stern pulpit with a couple of hose clamps. It's lasted for about 10-years now and shows no sign of wear.
Oh my gosh, this is genius. Guess my husband has a project for the weekend.

·
Barquito
3,472 Posts
Cheap storage for those small propane bottles that you don't know how to store. I went to Home Depot and bought a three-foot piece of #10 PVC pipe the right diameter to hold the bottles, a glue on (I know it's called weld) bottom cap and an adapter and screw on top. Put it all together, drilled several holes in the bottom and attached the rig to one of the slanted legs of the stern pulpit with a couple of hose clamps. It's lasted for about 10-years now and shows no sign of wear.
I have the same setup. Most stern pulpits are not vertical, so make sure you have holes in the bottom of the pipe that are near the edge, not in the middle.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
SV gimme .Lubing the threads with suitable grease negates the need to find a pipe wrench while the BBQ cools. Drilling a hole in the cap for a bit of lanyard helps sometimes as PVC dosn't float too good

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Storm windows for Winter. Any ideas other than insulation?

For example, we swap bug screens for 1/8" polycarbonate. In may cases, it's as simple as tracing and cutting.

Some are a little harder to fit (the small Beckson hatch screens can be swapped, but it requires cleaning and swapping the gaskets).

How about external covers (other than canvas)? Keeping the UV off always helps, and covers can reduce the summer AC load.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
A source of thin clear plastic sheet is those huymongous TVs that are thrown out at the recycle depot (projecter type) Probably acrylic but the price is right.

1421 - 1440 of 1612 Posts