SailNet Community banner

1561 - 1580 of 1612 Posts

·
美國佬
621 Posts
We have a big scum problem at our dock, and a dock mate of mine spent $70 on a brush like this one. I spotted a brush that looks remarkably similar for $3 at H&[email protected] Fr*!ght yesterday and duct taped it to an old boat pole and I'm very pleased.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
I am a bit over the $100 mark, but considering inflation since this thread started 10 years ago, I am pretty close. Ive spent maybe $160 cdn, so maybe $120 US. The project has been quite a bit of effort but has been cheap with the biggest expense being 3 sheets of 1/4" douglas fir ply and some hardware store pine to build frame and internal chines, tite bond glue and a bit of fibreglass tape and epoxy to seal the seams.

The rig is a rig I had laying around the house and am currently using for 2 other boats (my WB8 and my sailing canoe). Oars are the oars off my WB8.

Its a complete boat hull, a class legal PDRacer. The design is my own. The boat was specifically designed to nest in the back of a Grand Caravan with the middle row of seats up. Carrying capacity is adeqyate to carry the whole family (in extremely protected waters), without needing to trailer or even car top a boat. Couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
Arcb

It's very ingenious, but what do you use it for?
Aside from the pleasure I got from designing, building and tinkering.

I am going to race it. For one design racing its not supposed to matter how fast the core design is, what matters should be that all the boats are the same general speed, so most classes should be competitive within their class, in theory any way. The class isnt as big as it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of PDRs out there racing.

I am also going to experiment with it as a camp cruiser. The box design allows for a sizable pay load. So in theory, my son and I could load the boat into the van and go to a wetland, pond, lake or river, assemble the boat on the beach, load it up with camping gear and go exploring. The boat has two sizable dry cargo areas for tent, sleeping bags and food.

Or as a day sailor. We just got back from a road trip to Cape Breton- about 2000 km with a canoe onthe roof and sailing rig in the back. The Cape Breton Highlands werent a fantastivc place for bombing along at 110 kph with 70kph cross winds with a boat on the roof, but you wouldnt even notice a boat nested in the back inside of the car. So same thing. Road trip some where, set up camp on the beach, assemble your boat on arrival and use it for day sailing.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was tied up next to this old motor cruiser this season. I loved the table lamp in the 'window'. At night it was pleasant glow to see.

You don't see 'table lamps' on boats, for obvious reasons. But I had a dark area between the saloon and vee berth below in our boat, and that lamp got me thinking...

I had swapped out all the incandescent bulbs for LED's in our household bulb cabin fixtures. LED's are available in 12VDC household base in various wattages and color temperatures and I had a couple spares on hand. Lamp parts, remember those?

Sailboats like ours are smaller than that big cruiser - I'd have to scale things down. I knew small(4-6") lamp shades are available to fit chandelier bulbs. I bought a couple of those. Now a base. My dark space, has a high fiddled shelf under a port. We have Maine beach finds around the house and boat. A rolled rock, formed by eons of pounding surf on our granite islands, caught my. I drilled it for the threaded lamp pipe. Not high enough so I added another to make a cairn. I sat it in a doughnut of silicone (on an oiled surface) to form a non skid base. But I also tied the wiring below for security.

Not only did it light the passageway at night,.....

...it added another warm light on the harbor. Just what I was looking for in the port.

With extra parts, I put another together out of a cut of drift wood and a Lexan base for stability. For this one, I added a 16/2 cord and plug so it could be stored and used if you extra light.

Cost is about $20 per lamp, including a 7 watt bulb.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This is so simple (the way I did it) the true marline spikers will cringe , maybe this winter I'll do some splicing . Anyhow the toggle is from the bay . It was advertised as a sweater button/toggle there were some interesting ones made from bone but I landed on the wood ones , 5 for 2 bucks .
IMG_0050 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0051 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0052 by mark westi, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I love this topic , lets see if we can get it going again .

Need some inspiration ? Get this book .
https://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Sketchbook-Bruce-Bingham/dp/0071550968
The cover is falling off and the pages falling out. I guess I need to convert it to 3-ring soon. A great reference, not just for the examples, but for the way of thinking.

You might also like "Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts." I'm not shy--I wrote it. My wife swears spreading money thin is my best skill. It's the only way I get to keep sailing.
https://amzn.to/2RGJK7e

·
Registered
77 Posts
Might as well resurrect this a bit. Maybe get some new posts here.
For my Mac 22. I needed a mast crutch for transport. Didn't want to buy one so I made one. Mostly from scrap materials I had laying about but maybe cost $20, most of the cost was the paint I used.

Got a few more projects on the way, just waiting on other things to line up.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
This:
1 Is not a project, although it saves money, time, and aggravation.
2 May well be something all of you have already figured out

But I have old rolls of masking tape (the tan, cheap stuff) that especially when my shop is cold, resist dispensing tape cleanly, w/o shredding and making a mess.

A few seconds in the microwave before use allows the tape to release cleanly from the roll.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So the Admiral wanted a small galley for our <86 C-22, a piece of 5/4x6"x6' Sapele, a scrap sink cutout of Corian about 50 bucks total. (the Whale pump faucet and SS sink put it over the $100 limit, but still quite economical, under $180 overall). Room left of sink for an Iwatani butane burner, or cutting board/food prep area. Tilt out drawer front provides access to plenty stowage space for flatware, dishes, utensils, solo cups, koozies, etc.

Water supply is a 5 gal. Walmart collapsible camping bladder in the v-berth plumbed to the faucet ($10 total).

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/p1020679-jpg.137743/

the build is here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/admirals-galley-12502.185659/

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
So the Admiral wanted a small galley for our <86 C-22, a piece of 5/4x6"x6' Sapele, a scrap sink cutout of Corian about 50 bucks total. (the Whale pump faucet and SS sink put it over the $100 limit, but still quite economical, under $180 overall). Room left of sink for an Iwatani butane burner, or cutting board/food prep area. Tilt out drawer front provides access to plenty stowage space for flatware, dishes, utensils, solo cups, koozies, etc.

Water supply is a 5 gal. Walmart collapsible camping bladder in the v-berth plumbed to the faucet ($10 total).

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/p1020679-jpg.137743/

the build is here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/admirals-galley-12502.185659/

Looks excellent! Well done!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Corded 12-volt drill

I don’t have an inverter on my little boat, so I’m limited to the charge on my cordless drill. Also the drill is usually at home when I want it on the boat.

I have this 20+ year old Ryobi 12-volt cordless drill whose charger finally died. Instead of tossing it in with the electronics recycling, I re-purposed it to be a dedicated boat drill.

I took apart the battery pack, removed the batteries, drilled a hole in the back, and crimped on 16 AWG cigarette lighter adapter and cord.

Viola, now I have a drill just for my boat! And no need to worry about recharging anything. Total cost $10 for the cigarette adapter and cord.

·
Registered
136 Posts
thank you!

I need a boat drill for all the obvious reasons, and I have a few old 12v drills that I was going to toss.

Thanks for posting this before I actually tossed them in a dumpster.

1561 - 1580 of 1612 Posts