SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Bimini thats not too expensive, unobtrusive and can easily be removed and setup. The wife would like it for mostly motoring, being able to sail with it up would be a huge plus but not a deal breaker. This is for a Santana 30....Something that attaches to the rear of the boat?

Here is what she looks like....

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Least expensive would be one of the off-the-shelf ones from Taylor and a couple other manufacturers. For one with an aluminum frame and plastic fittings, you are looking at about $200. Not nearly as nice as a custom one with stainless frame and fittings, but not terrible. And a fraction of the cost.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
It's not like you have to replace your Bimini every season. This is something that will make all the difference in the livability of your cockpit, underway or at the dock. Bite the bullet and get a good strong one custom made for your boat and you will get something that will not only work well, but last quite a few years, if you take care of it. And don't forget a dodger while you are at it.
I know this is a major expenditure, but you will thank yourself repeatedly when you get caught out in a bit of weather and yet you aren't totally miserable. You will sail more!

Reactions: bigdogandy

·
Registered
196 Posts
my set up on my boat is almost identicle to yours my plan is to do a dual bimini setup im looking for something to have up while cruising with motor or docked and out of the way while sailing. there will be a fore and aft bimini/ dodger. the for bimini will connect to the dodger and when put down for sailing will rest on the dodger the aft will be above and behind the boom then cruising or sitting in the sun anchored i will have a sheet of the same material that zippers into both of those biminis in the centre

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I didn't really see a question in the OP, but I made this bimini and it's cover (not shown) and it didn't cost that much. Just some sunbrella, straps, and zippers. The rails were already on the boat, but they wouldn't be that hard to make. Just go slow. We sail with our bimini regularly.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
that looks great...I still want to do one myself...I remember posting a thread about one a while back

I have found a very cheap alternate to sumbrella down here still "water resistant" so I am having a main sail cover made first...hopefully it will look nice and maybe I can make a bimini too

I dont have the rails though

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Making tubes isn't that hard. Just buy the tubing and a 1" pipe bender at a home store. Go slow and measure a lot. Buy longer lengths than you need and remember that the radiuses affect the width of the final bow. Make the legs about 6" longer than necessary and don't trim the lengths until last.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Making tubes isn't that hard. Just buy the tubing and a 1" pipe bender at a home store. Go slow and measure a lot. Buy longer lengths than you need and remember that the radiuses affect the width of the final bow. Make the legs about 6" longer than necessary and don't trim the lengths until last.
How do you prevent the tubing from buckling (folding) at the bends? People say to fill with sand but that did not seem to work for me.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
How do you prevent the tubing from buckling (folding) at the bends? People say to fill with sand but that did not seem to work for me.
you'll need a mandrel to prevent tubing kink

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I just bought one for my center console off of Craigslist for $150. It was almost new, from a guy who had replaced his Bimini with a T-Top. Better than paying $400-$450 for a new one for sure.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ive seen new universal biminis advertsised on ebay all the time...they just ask you for 2 dimensions j I beleive which is the width where the metal frames will attach to the deck, and then basically the length fore and aft of the actual bimini

they sell for 199 new

not bad I guess for you guys up north

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
I got a great deal on mine this last winter with support poles for <$100 shipped from Marine and Rv Direct on eBay and I'm very please with it. I purchased the 6'L x 73"-78"W x 46"H size to mount on tracks just outside the coamings. I cut the height down 5" to fit just under the boom and at 5' 8" tall, I can stand up under it. Best comfort upgrade I've done to my boat.

·
aka $tingy Sailor
104 Posts
It's a cloudy day here in the NW, so these pictures aren't great but I think you'll get the idea. In order from left to right, they show:

• Folded forward for loading/boarding
  • In middle position with the pop top up
  • The port side support pole and jaw slide (1 of 4)
  • In middle sailing position with support poles in the forward jaw slides. Note the winch clearance. I mounted the strap eyes on top of the pop top bolt brackets so that I didn't have to drill more holes.
  • In rear, folded position, booted with support poles in the rear jaw slides. Note the boom and main sheet clearance.

The hinged jaw slides, pins, and lanyards, were not included with the bimini. Yes, the cover is gray, but it sort of matches the gray non-skid surfaces of the boat and at the price I got it, wasn't a showstopper. Besides, I plan to sew a Sunbrella cover with embroidered Catalina logo that matches the cabin cushion covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Team

Look at his lovingly cared for S30. You think he is really going to add a homemade cobbled together contraption to his rather handsome vessel ?

Newport - go to Doyle Newport. They know S30s very well. Ask for Bob Kettenhoffen. Minnie's is next door and might have a frame that fits - electro polishing and the Bimini will be worthy of you and your wife.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I got a great deal on mine this last winter with support poles for <$100 shipped from Marine and Rv Direct on eBay and I'm very please with it. I purchased the 6'L x 73"-78"W x 46"H size to mount on tracks just outside the coamings. I cut the height down 5" to fit just under the boom and at 5' 8" tall, I can stand up under it. Best comfort upgrade I've done to my boat.
That's a hell of a find there. :D

Reactions: christian.hess

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
/\ they are just a few miles from my home, I might stop by and check the quality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts