SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested I purchased one of these kits a while ago for doing fiberglass work on my boat. This is just a basic kit so i still had to purchase some other stuff like bag valves, carry case and i also purchased silicone heating blankets.

I purchased my kit from Do-It-Yourself Vacuum Veneer Press

v2 press

I now have a composite kit that i have shelled out about $300 for but have saved myself over $10000 on an actual composite repair machine.

As for the silicone heating blankets they are probably the best thing i have ever bought. I found a supplier in china who makes them for a low cost but they are not cheaply made at all. Compared to the professional heating blankets i use at work (made by Heatcon or wichitech) there Isn't much of a difference except for a few hundred dollars in savings. They run off of a 120v 3 prong plug (north american standard plug) but for any European folks they make 220V with country specific plugs. I opted for the optional temperature controller box where i can set the temperature of the heating blanket from the daily temperature to 250'C. This makes fiberglass or carbon fiber wet layups able to be cured in cooler temperatures than what is called for by the resin system and speeds up the curing process. Silicone is my preferred method of choice because it can be installed in the bag layup and since it is smooth can be used as a caul plate. Any size or shape of heating blanket can be made by this company but i have purchased 6x6, 12x12 12x18 18x18. each one with its own temperature controller.

I hope some of this information helps members out in making fiberglass repair or fabrication alot easier. It defiantly helped me out.

If anyone want any more information post on here or shoot me a private message. Composite layup and repair is what i do for a living in the aviation world so i can be a good source of information for those that might need some help.

Photos to be posted later of the whole system for now check out other users pictures from joe wood workers site.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Over the years I have built several vacuum bagging units. Each required

1 fridge or freezer compressor motor. Usually from a skip. FOC

1 vacuum unit from Lucas distributor with vacuum tubing. Scrapyard. £1

1 switch. £3.

HD poly sheet garden centre as a last resort but offcuts from pool liners first choice FOC.

DUCT TAPE.

They all did the business.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My setup is a little more GQ than that will never fail and if I were to show up to a job site with that I'd probably get turned away... I bet pool liner can't stretch like my vacuum bag can to for perfect shapes and I can see what is happening with my repair

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts