SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the reefing lines coming back to the cockpit, and there's an awful lot of friction in the two lines going through the clews.

Can anyone recommend a line that has a smooth casing that develops little friction? I appreciate this is kind of the opposite of what most rope manufacturers are trying to achieve.

I also need low stretch so it has to be at least a hybrid high-tech line (spectra or dyneema blend)

I guess there's always Amsteel.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The reefing is all external to the boom. Yes, I think a lot of the friction is where the line passes through the clew cringle, I was thinking about using some of these Antal loops to reduce the friction, but I think the system would still benefit from thinner, lower friction lines :

Low friction rings

NB : It's not when reefing that I have the problem, it's when raising the main without reef, and I am trying to pull all 4 reefing lines with their respective frictions.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two per reef, two reefs. The math is unavoidable.

Generally it's a wonderful system for putting a reef in (which, let's face it, is when you need it to be wonderful), the only snag is the friction when raising the last 8 ft of sail or shaking out a reef.

If I pull the clew lines to form a big loop under the boom, the sail then goes up easily. So it's definitely, mainly, friction at the rear of the sail in the clew lines.

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what I bought, except it was a spectra blend.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the thoughts everyone, I'm going to the boat in a bit, so I'll have a look, take some measurements, and formulate a plan.

I do like the suggestion not to take the reefing lines in when dousing the sail. I'll try that next sail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.