SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
I use Antal rings on the tack of my reefing line. I'm considering doing the same for the clew. That also has the advantage of keeping the reefing line on one side of the sail, which avoids crushing the sail between the line and boom.

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
He has 2 reefs, not 4. There are 4 reefing lines because he is using independent reefing lines for the clew and tack.

You can get away with using the same line for the cunningham, tack reef #1, and tack reef #2. Just put a 3:1 or 4:1 block setup onto a cunningham hook and move it between those three cringles on the sail. Then you would be down to 2 reefing lines, one for each clew, and the cunningham/tack line for all tacks. The downside is someone needs to run forward quickly and move the hook. If you anticipate reefing you can start the day off with the hook in reef #1.

I have my boat setup this way, except that my reefing lines are threaded through the clew and tack (single line reefing). This allows me to reef immediately from the cockpit to get the boat under control, then run forward to hook up the cunningham hook to the tack reef cringle and get better control of the tack tension.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.