SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I will run this by everyone...seems no one is familiar with this at the Irwin owners site. I am looking for information with regards to replacing the bottom rudder bushing in my Irwin 30...I have consulted the Irwin Yachts site, got some helpful info from Gene Gammon with regards to materials used and fit, but have yet to find anyone who produces this item. There is about 1/2" play at bottom bushing, and a bit more then that at the brass bushing in cockpit deck where the rudder shaft fits to the tiller. If anyone has any information regarding this issue, would appreciate any help. Thanks, all insights appreciated.

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is an option...I had sent out a request to several local plastics fabricators, could also cast it...the few that replied declined the service, so that is why I am putting this out there as with the amount of older boats still around, someone has to be fabricating these bushings, which I am guessing are not unique to just Irwin's...Have not tried the machine shops...that is another approach, thanks for the suggestion...

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good pointers, the epoxy fix may work, not sure if mine is really to far gone, so will continue with the research and call a few machine shops get an idea from them on cost...I should have enough info and a plan 'A' & plan 'B' by the time I pull her out. I think getting the rudder shaft hole just right is the key in the delrin (micrometer) . All this is much simpler then the Bristol...but on the high side that looks like a very reliable well protected design. Thanks for all the info all.

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to disappoint you guys:

1. delrin was used in the 70-ties and 80-ties. Not used for rudder bushes any more, doesn't last, and absorbs water.
2. There are other, modern plastic materials. Many boatyards have, or have access. Again, avoid delrin.
3. Epoxy with graphite ... no, sorry, the preassure is to high for epoxy. As an emergency reparation, on the way home from holiday cruise, yes. But not something that lasts.
4. ... ok, it have not yet been mentioned, but avoid the plastics ending with ... ix or simililar, ie plasic mixes that are claimed to be superior, but very secret.

Rudder bearing failure is rather common. As fixing it does require some efforts, do spend both time and money to get it right, not having to repeat again in two years.

/J
I have heard this before about delrin...so what have people been using?

· Registered
67 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Have not...but using the information Rik posted, have gotten close. On the Irwin forum there are people who have completed this task on various size vessels. I am waiting till I pull the boat, and that has been pushed into the unforeseeable future...since I am not planning any extensive excursions at this point in time, it has become a low priority issue. Rik Hall has replaced the one on his I-34, it is similar to the 30's just may not be the exact size...but I don't know that for certain. I suggest posting on the Irwin sailboats FB site...join up, very simple and painless protocol...lots of help there. Good luck with it, if you do indeed proceed forward, write down the specs and photo doc the procedure so it all gets documented for your vessel....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.