SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
629 Posts
Reaction score

· Registered
629 Posts
Reaction score
Here is another idea and I'm not sure where I read of it. Inject graphite loaded epoxy into holes drilled around the circumference. Of course you'd have to keep the rudder moving as it set to keep it from adhering to the stock. Maybe you could slip some thin plastic shim down alongside it before injecting the epoxy. Use regular West epoxy filled with graphite from Mcmaster-Carr.
Funny you should suggest that. I was not going to mention it because of fear of being jump all over...I did just that to my lower shoe two days ago and it came out great. My shoe is much like MarkSF's. I formed it with tape, (I have pictures, but left camera on boat today), jacked the rudder up, got about 3/8" lift out of it, mixed the resin and injected with a syringe. Dropped the rudder back down. Waited one hour then turned the wheel once right then left. Next day tried the wheel and it was so easy to turn that I am thinking the rudder was binding on me with the loose shoe. Now it is nice!!!

I replaced the cutlas 8 years ago without removing the rudder, but that's a story for another day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.