SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I posted this in the "electronics" sub forum, but it doesn't get travelled as much. Are there any 3G/4G broadband radar owners here? I pulled the plug for a 3G radar and Lowrance HDS plotter this weekend and would like feed back from owners regarding any issues and use tips, what accessories do you have etc.. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went ahead with the B&G 4G / Zeus 2 last spring and can only rave as to how OUTSTANDING it is. This technology uses very little power, in fact it uses less power (20W) while in active transmit mode than traditional pulse radar uses while in standby mode. Last July we were in Edgartown on a mooring and the day we were supposed to leave for Nantucket we had to change plans due to the tail end of a hurricane / storm thathad made its way up from down south. This change of plans called for leaving Edgartown at 0630 and while motoring in the harbor in very poor visibility I saw a very strange image on the radar display, as we passed the image I realized it was the mooring line / pennant going from a mooring ball to the bow of a boat! This technology showed a freaking length of rope on a radar screen! Not chain but rope! We were no more than 30 feet from this mooring which also goes to show how there is no main bang blocking out close objects with this technology. Some people say that Broadband does not have the range of pulse radar but who cares if you can't see what is 45 miles away you're in a sailboat going less than 10 knots.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
I bought the 3G radar and because of some weird issue that the installer couldn't figure out, they redid the whole system and upgraded me to the 4G unit. I admit that I don't use it often but when I do, it's fantastic and allows me to breath easier. Whenever I finally install the anemometer and transducer, it will do things that are also going to help me become a better racer and sailor.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,

Update report on the broad band radar (3G) I purchased last January. I ended up putting it on an 8' pole on the stern, paired it up with a Lowrance HDS-5 (GEN 2) along with a "Point 1" external GPS (for radar overlay on the plotter).

This sucker is GOOD. :) The wife and I took the boat out this weekend and with no training, sat in front of it and identidfied every target within a 1/4 mile. The guard zone with alarm worked great also for use in the FOG.

Would I recommend this for anyone wanting radar... ABSOLUTELY! ;)

Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the 3G unit and an NSS8.

Still learning how to use it (I'm going out in good weather and fiddling with the controls to see what it changes) but it seems pretty decent. Most annoying thing was the extra stuff I had to buy to get overlay/MARPA (R10 box, simrad ethernet cable, simnet cable, heading sensor)

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
My 3G Lowrance radar system has worked flawlessly until late this evening. All of the sudden, the images that I was viewing disappeared and a 360-degree ring of clutter appeared. I was able to get back to the marina using my HDS-7 GPS alone> I will be in contact with Lowrance first thing Monday morning.

Now, because I was just 6 miles above the big radar dome of Aberdeen Proving Ground I was wondering if they may have been using a radar jamming system, which would really mess up everyone's day. I intend to go back to the boat first thing in the morning to see if that was the case, but I doubt it.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My 3G Lowrance radar system has worked flawlessly until late this evening. All of the sudden, the images that I was viewing disappeared and a 360-degree ring of clutter appeared. I was able to get back to the marina using my HDS-7 GPS alone> I will be in contact with Lowrance first thing Monday morning.

Now, because I was just 6 miles above the big radar dome of Aberdeen Proving Ground I was wondering if they may have been using a radar jamming system, which would really mess up everyone's day. I intend to go back to the boat first thing in the morning to see if that was the case, but I doubt it.

Once you got back to the marina did the unit operate normally?
And have you been in that 6 mile area before and experienced similar symptoms?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I went to the boat this morning, checked out everything, and the problem still exists. I'll be on the phone with Lowrance first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I talked with Lowrance Support this morning, they agree the unit is bad, and I'm sending it back on Thursday. They said they would either fix this one, or just send me a new one - no charge for freight either way, no charges of any kind. Oh, and I wasn't on hold, just went right through to tech support and everything was done in 5 minutes, including an email with all the return instructions and labels. Love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts