SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went ahead with the B&G 4G / Zeus 2 last spring and can only rave as to how OUTSTANDING it is. This technology uses very little power, in fact it uses less power (20W) while in active transmit mode than traditional pulse radar uses while in standby mode. Last July we were in Edgartown on a mooring and the day we were supposed to leave for Nantucket we had to change plans due to the tail end of a hurricane / storm thathad made its way up from down south. This change of plans called for leaving Edgartown at 0630 and while motoring in the harbor in very poor visibility I saw a very strange image on the radar display, as we passed the image I realized it was the mooring line / pennant going from a mooring ball to the bow of a boat! This technology showed a freaking length of rope on a radar screen! Not chain but rope! We were no more than 30 feet from this mooring which also goes to show how there is no main bang blocking out close objects with this technology. Some people say that Broadband does not have the range of pulse radar but who cares if you can't see what is 45 miles away you're in a sailboat going less than 10 knots.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts