SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You can try and get almost any type of oil in one of the ends (preferably) the high end so it can run downhill

BUT the cables have a plastic lining that is one of those lifetime deals and the lifetime may have passed :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You can try and get almost any type of oil in one of the ends (preferably) the high end so it can run downhill
BUT the cables have a plastic lining that is one of those lifetime deals and the lifetime may have passed :)
Ain't it the truth! I spent the better part of a Saturday trying to lube my throttle cable using the method described in Casey's "Sailboat Maintenance". It did help, but it still wasn't right. Ponied up for a new cable (not cheap, the motor is midships, so it's a 20' cable). Man...what a difference!

If you still want to try, Casey suggests using "lubricating oil" (pretty generic!). Seal a plastic bag around the sheath on the elevated end of the cable using rubber bands, zip ties, etc.. Pour the oil into the bag. Hang the bag up and let gravity do it's thing. A messy, PITA job, especially when it doesn't work. He does stress lubing the cable at the first sign of resistance. This was definitely NOT done in my case, so who knows...it might work.
Good luck!

·
Master Mariner
9,064 Posts
Morse used to have a system to lube their cables. Contact a custom cable shop and ask what he has. I've had teflon lines cables which never require lube; something to think about when it comes time to replace your cables. Smooooooth!

Reactions: L124C

·
Registered
223 Posts
Motorcycle shops carry cable lubing kits. It is a special fitting that goes on the end of the cable, and a special lube that squirts lube under pressure in the fitting and down the length of the cable. Do it until it comes out the other end. It is simple, relatively inexpensive, and absolutely does work on Morse type cables.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I removed my cables when I first got the boat and used 3 in 1 oil. Now I drop some in every year for the gear & throttle. The shut off cable is exposed so I add a drop frequently. So far so good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts