SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended lubricant for turnbuckles?
So far I have a list including:
dry molybdenum
white teflon grease
anhydrous lanolin

Any insight into the pros/cons of the above (or other options) would be appreciated along with possible sources of these lubes.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Any of those should work fairly well. The main issue with turnbuckles, especially stainless steel ones, is galling and seizing.

·
Seen Your Mamba
247 Posts
What is the recommended lubricant for turnbuckles?
So far I have a list including:
dry molybdenum
white teflon grease
anhydrous lanolin

Any insight into the pros/cons of the above (or other options) would be appreciated along with possible sources of these lubes.
I use Lanacote. It's cheap, works well, and I've barely scratched the surface of the 4 ounce jar I bought for $10 or so (8 x 1/4" turnbuckles).

The only thing I don't like about it is that early/late in the season it hardens up and makes turning the turnbuckles by hand harder than in the heat of the summer (at least here in Niagara - you'd probably find the same thing in Ottawa).

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If it isn't anhydrous lanolin, don't use it on a boat. Normal lanolin will probably cause more problems than it solves.
I got a tube of lanolin at Target. It's in the baby section (for mom's who are nursing).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about dry graphite lubricant?
Would it address the issues with galling / seizing with ss turnbuckles?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I would hesitate to use dry graphite lubricant on a boat. Graphite is very high on the anodic scale, and as such can cause galvanic corrosion if it is in close contact to bronze, stainless steel or aluminum and salt water. :)

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Any kind of grease like Lanacote or a Teflon grease works well. I don't see any advantages to using a dry lube. Especially on closed body turnbuckles. You want something that stays greasy and you want to be sure to exercise the turnbuckles once in a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts