SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the spring season coming up I have been doing some misc projects on the boat and have been to the hardware and marine stores numerous times getting ready to clean the engine, oil all tranmission cabels, sail tracks, standing rigging, seacocks, and anything else that needs grease on a sailboat. I used to think WD-40 was the answer to everything but it seems that it is not and there are many different products that are much better suited to the individual task. So with that in mind, what are the best lubricants to use for these different projects or any other common ones I may have missed:

-Sail tracks, standing rigging (Marine Dry Lube?)

-winches (?)

-To spray into the underside of seacocks to oil them when the boat is on stands (Bought and was thinking of using Liquid Wrench white lithium grease)

-A spray to lightly coat and clean the metal surfaces of your diesel (Have used Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Protectant)

-Use to oil or lube throttle and transmission cables (Boeshield T9 or Liquid Wrench?)

-Use to get off stubborn bolts (Bought and was going to use PB Blaster)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
With the spring season coming up I have been doing some misc projects on the boat and have been to the hardware and marine stores numerous times getting ready to clean the engine, oil all tranmission cabels, sail tracks, standing rigging, seacocks, and anything else that needs grease on a sailboat. I used to think WD-40 was the answer to everything but it seems that it is not and there are many different products that are much better suited to the individual task. So with that in mind, what are the best lubricants to use for these different projects or any other common ones I may have missed:

-Sail tracks, standing rigging (Marine Dry Lube?)
McLube SailCote

-winches (?)
Should be greased and oiled annually. Grease the bearings, oil the pawls.

-To spray into the underside of seacocks to oil them when the boat is on stands (Bought and was thinking of using Liquid Wrench white lithium grease)
Any good waterproof grease should work.

-A spray to lightly coat and clean the metal surfaces of your diesel (Have used Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Protectant)
Boeshield is good stuff, but I'd hesitate to spray it on surfaces that are going to get too hot.

-Use to oil or lube throttle and transmission cables (Boeshield T9 or Liquid Wrench?)
Better off with a dry film lubricant, like SailCote, as Boeshield will tend to attract dirt and then get gummy.

-Use to get off stubborn bolts (Bought and was going to use PB Blaster)
Good stuff, as is Kroil. Be careful with it though, since it tends to eat seals and gaskets. :)

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.