SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding the main mast track....Ours is kindof sticky, the "runners" in the track that connect to the sail seem to stick on their way up the mast. I was intending on lubricating the track with some spray on lithium grease...one of my favorite lubricants.

Any ill effects do you think? I believe it will make it much easier to raise the main sail, as well as raise it more smoothly.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Marty

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
McLube SailCote.

·
Registered
249 Posts
yup. definitely McLube Sailcoat

·
Registered
846 Posts
I normally use hard hand soap. Cut it in the shape of the runners to fit into the track. Insert it below the top one. This will move everytime you hoist your sails and will clean and lubricate the track. This is clean and safe for the sail.

·
Rhumbunctious
150 Posts
I normally use hard hand soap. Cut it in the shape of the runners to fit into the track. Insert it below the top one. This will move everytime you hoist your sails and will clean and lubricate the track. This is clean and safe for the sail.
Interesting idea. Any "safety" problems with slippery runoff during heavy rainfall?

And any particular brand you prefer, or just any old bar soap?

·
Registered
846 Posts
The amount of soap transferred to the is very small. Only small portion is washed away with rain. Therefore it is safe. No brand preferences. Simply just oil and soda soap.

·
Rhumbunctious
150 Posts
The amount of soap transferred to the is very small. Only small portion is washed away with rain. Therefore it is safe. No brand preferences. Simply just oil and soda soap.
Cool. I'll be trying this as soon as the boat is in the water. I've been using McLube but it's a bit pricey here and never seemed to last as long as I'd like.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Another Possibility

This was a topic of discussion on another forum this morning and this link was posted that might be of interest.

I have no affiliation nor have I done business with this vendor.

Regards, John

·
Just a Sailer
25 Posts
I've used silicone spray on my slugs for a few years now, and it seems to work just fine.

Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I think I'm just going to use some regular bar soap first and see if that doesn't cure the issue. If not, I'll move on to some of the other lubricants mentioned.

Thanks again,

-Marty

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't use anything that isn't a dry film lubricant, as they will collect dust and turn gummy and really make raising/lowering the main a PITA.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Like many here, I use the Sailkote (McLube??). It is a great product, but unreasonably expensive. I have always wondered it something like wax might be better?

On another note, you will probably find that the thing sticks no matter what you use. That is typical of those plastic cars. Lubricating will help, but you basically cannot lubricate (at least, not well) the inside of the track where most of the friction is. I have always wanted a Batt Car system (harken). I have heard many, many people praise it - and some that had some negative comments (though I cannot remember what they were now). It is expensive... but man it looks awesome. I am trying to talk my old man into putting one his Tayana - but he hasn't come up with the cash yet!!

Brian

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Like many here, I use the Sailkote (McLube??). It is a great product, but unreasonably expensive. I have always wondered it something like wax might be better?

On another note, you will probably find that the thing sticks no matter what you use. That is typical of those plastic cars. Lubricating will help, but you basically cannot lubricate (at least, not well) the inside of the track where most of the friction is. I have always wanted a Batt Car system (harken). I have heard many, many people praise it - and some that had some negative comments (though I cannot remember what they were now). It is expensive... but man it looks awesome. I am trying to talk my old man into putting one his Tayana - but he hasn't come up with the cash yet!!

Brian
Brian, Please check out the Strong Track System before you decide on a Batt Car System.
Simple, clean, foolproof and proven.
Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with a Batt Car System. But there are a whole lot of little parts and balls to deal with.

Regarding track lubrication; I'm not gonna say that anyone is right or wrong.
But in my experience, the problem normally isn't that the wrong product was used. The problem generally is, no product was used.

Some products leave a residue that attracts dirt. Some products evaporate too quickly. Some products are ridiculously expensive while being short lived.
You have to clean up the residue from lubes sometimes. Or if you use a dry lube you have to apply it more often.
Six of one half dozen of the other.
I have never heard of the bar soap idea, but it's something I'm am going to try.
I have used bar soap for wood screws and wax for zippers.

It's not what you use, It's how conscientious you are about using it.

A sailmaker that I know suggested that longer slugs/slides could help a little too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TEFLON Multi Use Lubricant

Goes on wet, then dries....Get it at Lowe's for about 5$. I could not BELIEVE how good it was.

Looks like this:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts