SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about half of my fixtures use a standard E-26 household type bulb. A few years ago, I changed them all out to CFL's, "looks funny/saves money" to save energy. They still draw 1.5 amps each, they're not as bright as I'd like and they take a while to warm up.

So now I'm looking at a Dr. LED bulb for the same fixtures. They're a 3 watt bulb and they say they're equivalent to a 60 watt bulb. So the lumen rating for a 60 watt bulb is around 800 lumens. The lumen rating for this bulb is 160. How can they claim it's a 60 watt equivalent when the lumens are less than 25% the lumen rating of an equivalent bulb? Is there something funny about lumens for LED bulbs? Anyone use one of these bulbs?

Dr. LED's Edison Screw Base LED Bulbs

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian, the sun came out last week. If this keeps up, I may have tan knees before the end of July! I'm going to hold off a little while longer on the LED bulb replacements. At $30 to almost $40 a bulb, it's more than I want to spend to experiment with. Our solar panels keep us in plenty of power for our current boat use anyway. Wish I knew you guys were in our neighborhood a couple of months ago. Both JRD22 and I showed Bilgewater around when he came through on a boat delivery a couple months ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.