SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the "average" person... The manual toilet itself breaks up solid waste reasonably well on its way to the holding tank. And since most macerator pumps aren't between the head and holding anyway, (most are on a Y-valve between the holding tank and the overboard drain).

Not to put too fine a point on it... But why would you care if the solid waste you're sending over the side 3+ miles out is pureed or extra-chunky? Isn't a macerator just a potential electrical failure that could eliminate having a working head onboard during a long trip? Whereas a manual pump is pretty fool proof and will do the job of draining the holding tank just as well?

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
it pumps better when macerated. I can use a smaller outgoing thruhull (macerator outgoing hose is only 1"), which is nice. and really the cost of macerating pump is exactly the same as any other (in fact I don't think there are pumps for waste that do not macerate). All it is is a small blade on the end of the impeller or some such.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I don't think a macerator is a necessity... I certainly don't have one on my boat, but I like to try and keep the most important systems fool proof and reduce their complexity to keep them more reliable.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Those of us that routinely travel into Canada where overboard discharge is not only legal but necessary since there are very few pump-out facilities find macerator pumps not only necessary but critical to the happiness of our wives and therefore ourselves.

And, yes I believe a hand pump should do the job but just flipping the switch is a whole lot easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts