SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
it won't work as a lock....either a flat washer or a lock(spring, split end, whatever) but not both.....the purpose of a flat washer is to decrease friction between the nut and the mounting surface. Allows you to apply more torque. The idea of a lock washer is to allow the split ends to dig into the mounting surface and the nut, thus preventing it from vibrating loose. If you use both washers, the entire assembly can rotate, and come undone.....

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
it won't work as a lock....either a flat washer or a lock(spring, split end, whatever) but not both.....the purpose of a flat washer is to decrease friction between the nut and the mounting surface. Allows you to apply more torque. The idea of a lock washer is to allow the split ends to dig into the mounting surface and the nut, thus preventing it from vibrating loose. If you use both washers, the entire assembly can rotate, and come undone.....
Hmmmm. Flat washers have more than one purpose. In a situation like this where the pressure is against fibreglass, a large flat washer will help to spread the load, reducing the likelihood of the FG cracking. Also, because one face of the washer is against the FG and the friction forces will be high, then the washer is very unlikely to be able to turn. Meanwhile, on the other side of the flat washer, the split washer is biting in and doing its job.......

Stuart

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, I understand now. Hmmm, could be why my cleats came loose after some pounding. There're split washer with flat ones underneath. I'll have to remove the split washers. Think I'll plan for change out of all 1/4" screws to next size. That is if if I don't have to enlarge the holes of the cleat mounting legs. Don't want to weaken it. Hull I can drill a bigger hole. Thanks you. Much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
If there is a plate already on the bottom, I cant see the value of adding a flat washer...a lock washer OK... I'm a big fan of lock nuts instead.
I would agree with the others...1/4 seems a bit light.
Also, if the cleats have moved, I consider rebedding them before adding the nuts.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Stuart—

To be safe when using fender washers, use nylock-type nuts. :)

Hmmmm. Flat washers have more than one purpose. In a situation like this where the pressure is against fibreglass, a large flat washer will help to spread the load, reducing the likelihood of the FG cracking. Also, because one face of the washer is against the FG and the friction forces will be high, then the washer is very unlikely to be able to turn. Meanwhile, on the other side of the flat washer, the split washer is biting in and doing its job.......

Stuart

21 - 25 of 25 Posts