SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a long time of dreaming and studying I have finally made an offer on a sailboat. It is an Ericsson 31 and after the survey and sea trial, if it is all good...it's mine. If the survey results or the sea trial are not to my liking, I can get outta the deal. So, it is a process and I am excited about it as it is bigger than the last sailboat i owned (a West Whight Potter 14). It has a new diesel engine in it (a Universal 20hp...only 60 hours) and although it is an old boat (1977), If the survey shows water damage, etc., I can just walk away. I did an initial eyeball and followed the suggestions from this forum. The decks seemed firm but what do I know. There was no bad smell, no mold I could see, etc. The engine was clean, the lockers were also. There was some water in the bilge, there were some seacocks/thru hulls i could see needed to be replaced. I'm sure the survey will uncover lots of surprises.

But if it pans out...I think it will be a good boat to get me and my wife out on the Chesapeake THIS SEASON and start learning and developing our skills and eventually take it southward. :smile:

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
congrats! if it doesn't pan out there's a E31 in my club for sale. A4 and blue hull paint.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
"The decks seemed firm but what do I know. "
Did you ever successfully pick a ripe cantaloupe?

Hold the index & middle finger firmly together, go "thump thump" on the deck, and the key is whether the tone changes from "thunk" to "thud". Where they may be solid wood (under stanchions, etc.) you can expect the tone to change anyway, but if any area sounds more like you are thumping damp wood...that's more like a ripe cantaloupe, compared to a dry one.

Good luck with the rest!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.