SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue Water Sailing front cover sept 2014. What in the world is the lovely brunette standing on? Does it have some function on a sailboat or is something
that the photographer brought along?
I know nothing but I want to learn.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Blue Water Sailing front cover sept 2014. What in the world is the lovely brunette standing on? Does it have some function on a sailboat or is something
that the photographer brought along?
That's a mast pulpit, AKA 'granny bars'... They're the hallmark of Bitter Old Dudes, some of whom belong to that sorrowful demographic who still prefer to leave their halyards/reefing to be done at the mast ...

:))

Adding Mast Pulpits | Sail Magazine

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Mast pulpit" thank you Jon I will probably need something like that
to hold on to. I aint no spring chicken either.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's a mast pulpit, AKA 'granny bars'... They're the hallmark of Bitter Old Dudes, some of whom belong to that sorrowful demographic who still prefer to leave their halyards/reefing to be done at the mast ...

:))

Adding Mast Pulpits | Sail Magazine

Hey, wait a minute Jon!! Those granny bars are great!!- even for younger guys like me! They're not just for "bitter old dudes"! They make reefing at the mast in a heavy sea easy and safe and provide a place to secure halyards so they don't bang on the mast. I also added sunbrella pockects to mine which are terrific for winch handles and other stuff.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hey, wait a minute Jon!! Those granny bars are great!!- even for younger guys like me! They're not just for "bitter old dudes"! They make reefing at the mast in a heavy sea easy and safe and provide a place to secure halyards so they don't bang on the mast. I also added sunbrella pockects to mine which are terrific for winch handles and other stuff.
Nah, I was just having a go at the Young Punks... :)

I love them as well... I sure relied on them heavily on this trip, a rolly DDW ride for a big percentage of the way, with a LOT of work at the mast, most of it during the middle of the night... :)

·
3,506 Posts
AKA "sissy bars"

Reactions: Classic30
1 - 7 of 7 Posts