SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Magme Kettle grill and looking connect it to my port side spare 10# LPG gas tank. It will be connected only when needed for grilling.
What is the best way to connect a Magma Kettle grill to a spare 10# LPG tank (Seaward c-910) on my Catalina350. In place of the standard 1# LPG gas bottles. Do I need a propane gas hose with a low-pressure valve built-in or will the Magma Blue pressure On/Off valve for the grill work to manage the pressure at the correct level.?
Is there an alternative to the Magma recommended adapter connection to my existing LPG tank line w/ solonoid for my stove. I appreciate any advice with specific solutions and parts needed.
EAtkins
Cat350-#10 Grand Marnier II

· Registered
3 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I've seen a similar direct connections on Youtube videos. Follow up question, Magma's formal response to me suggested possible problems with direct connection to the 6# LPG tank due to low flame pressure or "oils" clogging the Blue regulator valve attached to the Magma grill. Have you experienced either issue in your grill connection.? Thanks again for your time and response. Happy New Year

· SailNet Captain of the Month
6,080 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I've seen a similar direct connections on Youtube videos. Follow up question, Magma's formal response to me suggested possible problems with direct connection to the 6# LPG tank due to low flame pressure or "oils" clogging the Blue regulator valve attached to the Magma grill. Have you experienced either issue in your grill connection.? Thanks again for your time and response. Happy New Year
No, we haven't had any problem. I don't see how the hose from the tank is any different than directly connecting the small screw on tanks the regulator was designed for. Don't know where any "oils" would come from - there aren't any in the tank, and I'd bet the hose doesn't produce them.

Mark

· bell ringer
6,387 Posts
Reaction score
I found that for some reason running my grill off the ship propane tank instead of the 1lb direct bottle that it didnt get as hot. Solved this last cycle by getting the larger Magma propane adapter

6,080 Posts
Reaction score
Take a look at the Mr Buddy Heater questions web page... Mr. Heater University | General Product Knowledge
Look down through the list of questions. There are four that have something to do with propane filters. I bought one of the filters and screwed it to my Magma blue regulator. It may be as effective as a rabbit's foot, I don't know, but I have it.
Interesting. According to Mr Heater, hoses under pressure will leak and buildup oil substances in the regulator if you don't use their "special" hose or filters (both sold separately). However, all home BBQ grills use these hoses between the tank and the regulator, and I've never heard of this being a problem. I suspect all of the hoses sold for this purpose in all the hardware stores are already "special" hoses.

I guess if the regulator craps up after many years with the inexpensive hose and no filter, I'll just spend the $30 for another one.

Mark

6,080 Posts
Reaction score
I found that for some reason running my grill off the ship propane tank instead of the 1lb direct bottle that it didnt get as hot. Solved this last cycle by getting the larger Magma propane adapter
If you are connecting the grill on the downstream side of the ship's regulator, then you do need a different grill regulator than the normal one because you are using low pressure (regulated) propane and not high pressure out of the tank.

Mark

· bell ringer
6,387 Posts
Reaction score
Yes, i use the LP regulator from magma for this. Like i wrote it took the higher flow one to be able to shear a steak.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
Reaction score
I run an extension hose from my spare tank to my Dickinson BBQ. I got the hose from Dickinson.

I can't see the need for a filter if the hose is rated for LPG use. A rated hose will not break down from exposure to the gas, and the pressure is relatively low.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.