SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Censored4 your protection
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two anchors on my boat. Both seem to weigh @20LBs and are the same style.
The one I use as my "main" has 190' of 3/8" polly line and 53' 10MM light chain.

My stern anchor has 120' of 7MM polly line followed by 30' of heavy 3/8" chain.

My question is should I switch the heavy line to the heavy chain or do you think the extra 23' of chain makes up for its light size?

Thanks for the time and advice.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Not sure about your description of the change since 3/8" is basically the same as 10 mm. The chain is more than enough for a boat and anchor of that size. I have 3/8" chain on a 40,000 pound boat. The poly line is not at all strong, that would be the first thing to replace I think. Is the anchor on the right a genuine Danforth (it should be stamped on the shaft)? If so, it will be a much better anchor than the other one. I would use the right-hand anchor, either chain and a new piece of nylon, 3-strand. How deep is the water where you anchor? that could help with your choice. Allow 7 to 1 scope, based on the depth of the water, the height of your bow, and any tidal increase that might happen. So if the water is 20' and the tide is 5' - you are working with 20 + 5 = 5 = 30 feet times 7. You would want roughly 210 length of anchor rode.

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dont know why I put 10mm the small chain is 1/4"
I only sail on a lake so no tide. I normaly anchor in 15-20 feet of water with soft sand and a few large rocks.
I would like to anchor out overnight and want to make shure I get the best set incase the winds come up at nght.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
To be honest, I would use neither set-up.

Danforths will trip in a wind shift. The one on the left is especially bad for that.

Poly chafes quite badly. Anchor rode should be nylon to give some stretch and shock absorbency.

I have used Danforths as secondary anchors in conditions which are not subject to wund shifts, but never as a primary.

Poly chafes quite badly. It also floats - not good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The heavy chain is a poor match to the anchors, but as long as you have it you might as well use it. If you want a more secure hold, heavier chain is better.

You don't have an anchor rode. That yellow poly rope will work great to mark out a swimming area, but it's not an anchor rode. Get some nylon rode.

GTJ

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the heavier shorter chain should hold better than the much longer much lighter chain?

What makes the anchor on the left worse than the one on the right? The left one seems just a tad heavier.

Thanks again for the time and advice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
so the heavier shorter chain should hold better than the much longer much lighter chain?

What makes the anchor on the left worse than the one on the right? The left one seems just a tad heavier.

Your 30' of heavy chain should be about 53 lbs. Your 53' of light chain is probably 38 lbs. URL reference is here: New Page 1

How heavy is your boat?

GTJ

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
With the anchor on the left [edit, oops], if the wind switches in the middle of the night the boat will 'sail' over the anchor making the shackle slide up the slot to the other end. The boat pulling will then pull the anchor out of the mud. It may or may not reset itself. With the other anchor, the pull stays at the end of the shank so when the wind shifts you will have a chance that the anchor stays in the mud and just pivots to the new direction.

There are lots of anchor designs out there, some of which are much better than either of these but they are not cheap and you have these two. I would go with the anchor on the right, the 3/8" chain which is sort of overkill for the size of anchor and boat, but that is not a bad thing. Invest in 200' feet of 1/2" (or even 7/16") nylon rode with a loop spliced in the end where it connects to the chain. You want a 'thimble' (doesn't look anything like a sewing thimble) inside the loop for chafe protection. Make sure the anchor shackles are sound and after you tighten the shackle pins lock them either with wire ties or stainless wire (better) methods. With either you go through the hole in the shackle pin and around some part of the bow of the shackle.

Reactions: jackdale

·
Registered
9,378 Posts

In a wind shift, the slot in the shank will allow the shackle and chain to slide down the shank and dislodge the anchor from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have to admit, I've never seen an anchor like the one on the left used. It's called a slip ring. that slotted shank is supposed to allow for easy retrieval of a snagged anchor. I'd worry that it could retrieve when you don't want it to. Which is what Jack indicates.

The flukes are also welded on opposite sides of the stock, which makes me wonder how well it sets.

The poly has to go. I only sailed once on lake Tahoe, but the thing I remember most ( beside the scenery ) is that the wind shifted constantly. I'd use them as lunch hooks, but wouldn't feel very secure sleeping on an overnight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have two anchors on my boat. Both seem to weigh @20LBs and are the same style.
The one I use as my "main" has 190' of 3/8" polly line and 53' 10MM light chain.

My stern anchor has 120' of 7MM polly line followed by 30' of heavy 3/8" chain.

Thanks for the time and advice.
One more thing to consider. It seems like those poly lines came with the boat and also appears that you are still learning about boating/sailing. Please note the consistency of the responses here, NOBODY likes that poly rope. You might corner an experienced sailor and have him look about your gear, the standing rigging, and the running rigging. If the previous owner used poly for an anchor rode, there's no telling what other stuff he had on the boat that doesn't belong.

I went sailing with a newbie guy a couple years back. I didn't have to look hard to tell him what hardware to replace. Every bit of hardware that came from the local hardware store had rust stains trailing down the gel coat.

GJ

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The boat weighs @2500LBs.

No caribiner, I think what your looking at is a forged ring build into the anchor.
The connections are saftie wired with spliced thimbels.

Ill look into new quality line.

One anchoring option I was leaning twards is the bahama style with the stern tied off to shore say to a large boulder or near by tree?

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
One anchoring option I was leaning twards is the bahama style with the stern tied off to shore say to a large boulder or near by tree?

This is a Bahamian moor

You are thinking of a stern tie. That will work with a Danforth. Just make sure you set the anchor well, many folks do not.

·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I got that wrong. I was thinking of two anchors off the bow in a roughly 45Deg. angle with my "main" anchor facing prevailing wind and waves (SW) and my secondary anchor (Normaly stern anchor) set out to the other side while the stern is tied to the shore.

The only bits from the hardware store on my boat (besides this crappy anchor line) are the SS nuts and bolts that hold the drink holders on. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry I got that wrong. I was thinking of two anchors off the bow in a roughly 45Deg. angle with my "main" anchor facing prevailing wind and waves (SW) and my secondary anchor (Normaly stern anchor) set out to the other side while the stern is tied to the shore.

The only bits from the hardware store on my boat (besides this crappy anchor line) are the SS nuts and bolts that hold the drink holders on. ;)
You have plenty of anchor for a 2500 lb boat. Just get some nylon rode. The poly line will float and the Bahamian mooring as pictured in an earlier note will guarantee fouling the lines with the keel and rudder.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
BTW - keep the poly for your stern line.

·
Swab
825 Posts
BTW - keep the poly for your stern line.
The only thing polypro rope is good for is towing a dinghy or attaching crab pot floats.

Let me add to the chorus: replace the poly with nylon. 3/8" or 7/16" should be plenty strong enough. I prefer three strand. Have enough to put out 5 to one scope where ever you may anchor.

Another suggestion I would offer is to trade one of those anchors for one of a different type; a claw or Delta perhaps. Some times one type just will not hold or reset properly on a given type of bottom.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts