SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for more help on the halyard issue & looking for advice or suggestions for our box construction Sitka mast (modified H28)

A little background in case you didn't follow a previous thread about halyard rope choices.

We had wire, which wasn’t working out well. So we (prematurely) took the wire out of the main and replaced it with rope. The particular rope we got isn’t going to suffice for our main (probably not for the mizzen or headsail either..) so I’m looking at moving to a spectra core rope (probably this: http://www.redpointropes.com/Catalouge/Gale.html). The problem is for handling I’ll have to move up in diameter, necessitating changing the sheave. By the state of it I would guess it’s been an awfully long time since its been changed, so how easy this will be (from 35’ up…) is questionable. AND it necessitates at least two trips up the mast, as we have no clue what size we’d need.

My other thought is going to a block but not sure. And we don't want to drill into the mast unless we absolutely have to.

Thoughts – suggestions – something I’ve not thought of that’s plainly obvious?

Thanks,
Bobby

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
You could also remove the cover from a larger line so that the end will fit the sheave. Or you could use a smaller line and add a cover/jacket to increase the size of the portion you handle.
Looking for more help on the halyard issue & looking for advice or suggestions for our box construction Sitka mast (modified H28)

A little background in case you didn't follow a previous thread about halyard rope choices.

We had wire, which wasn’t working out well. So we (prematurely) took the wire out of the main and replaced it with rope. The particular rope we got isn’t going to suffice for our main (probably not for the mizzen or headsail either..) so I’m looking at moving to a spectra core rope (probably this: http://www.redpointropes.com/Catalouge/Gale.html). The problem is for handling I’ll have to move up in diameter, necessitating changing the sheave. By the state of it I would guess it’s been an awfully long time since its been changed, so how easy this will be (from 35’ up…) is questionable. AND it necessitates at least two trips up the mast, as we have no clue what size we’d need.

My other thought is going to a block but not sure. And we don't want to drill into the mast unless we absolutely have to.

Thoughts – suggestions – something I’ve not thought of that’s plainly obvious?

Thanks,
Bobby

1 - 2 of 2 Posts