SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a new main for my boat. I'm a bit annoyed about the construction of the batten pocket closure. I'll try to keep the explanation simple. I know a pic would help.

There are essentially three layers of Velcro to hold the batten in the pocket. These three layers are about 8 inches long inward from the leech and 3/4 inches wide and together stand about 1/2 inch above the surrounding sail cloth.

Here's how it works.

I slide the batten in the pocket under the first layer of velcro.
I close the first flap toward the luff of the sail over the first layer of velcro. This strip of webbing wraps around the end of the batten and holds the batten in.
A second flap of velcro then folds back toward the leech over the first flap. I presume this flap is there so that the wind doesn't pick up the first flap.

I guess what annoys me about this design is just the sheer amount of material. Three layers of Velcro! These are sizable chunks of material in four places on the leech of the sail and are a sizable blocks of material.

I've owned a sail that has the type of design where you push (with a flat, short batten) a strip of webbing with Velcro sewed on into a pocket. But these pockets have sail cloth sewed over the top a end up with a relatively smooth surface.

Am I being unreasonably picky? Has anyone seen this type of design?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Our sails have the pusher-stick velcro setup, with a light line "tail" for getting it open when you need to. It works well, and as you say, results in a fairly sleek closure. Have you talked with the sailmaker? He may have reasons for his multilayer extravaganza, or may be able to change the closure for you to keep you a customer happy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, I will be taking it back today and telling the sail maker to give me a more "normal" type of pocket. This sail is for a Cape Dory Typhoon, not a large boat and doesn't need a super robust method of holding the batten in place.

·
19,485 Posts
Most mains have a pocket that much more sleek. Looks like those would catch on the backstay.
My first thought too... any stay interference looks like a problem waiting to happen...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the sail back today and they will change it. I kept asking why they made it that way and never did get an answer. This falls under the "What were they thinking?" category. Other than the pocket closures the sail was done well. It was a local to me sail maker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts