SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to head north from Salem Ma to Maine Labor day week. So I have 9 days total to leave and get back. We like a mix of going in for drinks/dinner and going in to places to look at ruins and coming back to the boat to eat (already been to Jewell Island).

We don't want to have to get a slip, so either moorings or anchorages only. We are willing to do either a long run to get to the first stop or a long one to get back, but this is a cruising trip not a 3 day each way sail trip.

Looking for suggestions for places to see.

Thanks

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boothbay, is that the best SNers can do :(

been there, done it, plan to avoid a repeat of it

Registered
You could gamble a bit with weather, and hopefully ride a prevailing southerly to Penobscot Bay. Because of the curve of the coast, it's not that much farther than Maine points to the south.

Then sail in the bay for a few days. Just cruising around the Fox Islands will give you great options for anchorages, moorings and sailing grounds(Try Nebo Lodge for drinks from your mooring in North haven village).

Then plan to meander southward in short hops, along the coast. That time of year, odds are good you could pick up a land warmed westerly breeze that can send you nicely along the coast in flat water.

Pick your stops along the way.

Registered
Reactions: 43N77W

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just going to head to Rockland and worry about the rest when I wake up each day!

Registered
Sooo much to see and do in Penobscott bay and Acadia Nat Park.

Seal Bay on Vinalhaven
Frenchboro on Long Island
Somes Harbor on Mt Desert
The free bus in Acadia takes you to many great places: Bass Harbor, SW Harbor, NE Harbor, Bar Harbor. And lots of great hiking trails to climb for great views. You could spend your whole time in Acadia. We spent 10 days anchored in Somes Sound and rode the bus everywhere.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the end; once again a schedule works against your plans. I went, but after going North to Maine the past 2 years now I think between the fog and the 10 zillion lobster pots I'm not going again! It is like playing pinball with a blind fold on.

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew someone would do a pinball wizard response, but thought it would take a few hours

Registered
In the end; once again a schedule works against your plans. I went, but after going North to Maine the past 2 years now I think between the fog and the 10 zillion lobster pots I'm not going again! It is like playing pinball with a blind fold on.
That's too bad. All seemed negotiable enough to me and found plenty of places without pots, albeit, plenty with a carpet of them. However, if you insist on not returning, leaving more room for the rest of us is appreciated.

Reactions: Sailingdiver

Registered
Hey,

You must have the wrong boat :). I was in Maine a few weeks ago. I was on two boats and they had no problem with lobster pots. They ignored them and sailed right over the floats.

The first boat was a giant 350 passenger catamaran used for whale watching. It had 4 engines and jet drives. The helmsman sat in a comfortable chair and steered by nudging a joystick with his knee. At 30 kts I didn't expect him to dodge pots and it appeared to me that he never even saw them (but he was good at finding whales).

The second boat was a 1970 Friendship sloop. Full keel, attached rudder, prop in an aperture. We went on a 3 hour cruise around Northeast harbor. Again, the captain just ignored any pots, tracks, floats he saw. The floats would just bounce off the hull as we sailed along.

My boat, with 6' narrow fin keel, and long skinny rudder, would not do well there.

Barry

Registered
That's too bad. All seemed negotiable enough to me and found plenty of places without pots, albeit, plenty with a carpet of them. However, if you insist on not returning, leaving more room for the rest of us is appreciated.
As with virtually every topic that arises on a sailing forum - including impressions of one of the world's finest cruising grounds - any legitimate response could usually fit under the category of "It Depends", or "Others' Mileage May Vary"...

:)

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/us-no...12-mile-sail-isle-au-haut-nearly-perfect.html

Cruising Maine often does require considerable patience, one often needs a bit of luck to do it proper justice during a quick drive-by to a schedule...

If one can't handle lobster pots, well, there's always Nova Scotia... Of course, they do get a bit of fog up there, as well... Otherwise, it's a lot like Maine, but without the 'crowds'... :)

Registered
Planning to head north from Salem Ma to Maine Labor day week. So I have 9 days total to leave and get back. We like a mix of going in for drinks/dinner and going in to places to look at ruins and coming back to the boat to eat (already been to Jewell Island).

We don't want to have to get a slip, so either moorings or anchorages only. We are willing to do either a long run to get to the first stop or a long one to get back, but this is a cruising trip not a 3 day each way sail trip.

Looking for suggestions for places to see.

Thanks
I'm thinking of doing the same trip this summer - we're also moored in Salem. I was wondering what you wound up doing? Going through Annisquam or around Cape Anne? What are some good stops before you get to Casco bay? I don't think my family would like to sail through the night - thanks for any hints or suggestions!

bell ringer
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm thinking of doing the same trip this summer - we're also moored in Salem. I was wondering what you wound up doing? Going through Annisquam or around Cape Anne? What are some good stops before you get to Casco bay? I don't think my family would like to sail through the night - thanks for any hints or suggestions!
I go around the Cape and never do the Annisquam. Far as stops I've made along the way:

Isle of Shoals
Kittery Point
Rockport

Leaving from Salem Isle of Shoals is the best mid point stop. Normally you can just grab a mooring and no one will brother you, especially if during the week.

Registered
Last time I made that leg, I went through the Annisquam Canal, for the first time. I'd gone into Gloucester the night before, also for the first time. I enjoyed them both and the canal makes sense from Gloucester.

It's a fairly short trip then to Isle of Shoals. But this leisurely route takes time.

When I'm in a hurry and weather permits, I make a straight shot from the Cape Cod Canal to Isle of Shoals. It's a long day(like a delivery) but can be done. And you can always bail out at Provincetown if you change your mind-either way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts