SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
Nice video link. Maine is a special place. Of course, the best way to truly appreciate the summer here is to survive a winter.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Nice video link. Maine is a special place. Of course, the best way to truly appreciate the summer here is to survive a winter.
I think that's part of the reason we build some of the finest boats in the world.. We have all winter to pay attention to the small but important details!

You don't see stuff like this coming out of to many other states, or countries for that matter, on a regular basis! Quality like this is common place in Maine..

Maine Built Boats "Recent Launches" Gallery (LINK)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
That link seems to be a trailer for a longer-format movie, apparently produced by Gary Jobson. If I read it correctly, the full feature releases today. Or did I misunderstand that?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
John the link in Maine Sails post!
Yes, those are gorgeous boats!!

But I was referring to the link in the O.P. Is there a full-length movie we can all watch this winter?

·
1,000 Posts
Maine Sail, Hal..

Thank you..

Initially I was goind to say..."well..you haven't seen much around the World"..

Then I sat down..remembered the day I spent with Dan in MAine, the boat yards I saw, the museum, the boats...

I decided..I have to give it to him...some of the best looking if not the best looking boats in the Worls, did come out of Maine...NO QUESTION ABOUT IT...

We have some really nice ones...but not at such rate of production

Thank you..

Alex

·
Registered
58 Posts
The video was pretty cool. but these guys aren't really real main boat builders, these guys are the investment boat builders. people like Ralph Stanley and Nat and Benjamin are the ones that build the traditional classics (owners alongside shipwrights). Uppermanagement boatbuilding isn't what I think of when I think of main boatbuilding.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
umm...

The only big conglomerate that I know of up here is Hinckley..

Tom Morris - Still owns and build Morris Yachts.

Lyman Morse - Cabot Lyman still owns & runs it with his partner JB Turner

Ellis Yachts - Still in the family and Don Ellis still runs it.

Brion Reiff - Owner owned

Brooklin Boat Yard
- Owned by Steve White founder Joel Whites son.

French & Webb - Todd French and Peter Webb fairly clear

Hadden Boat Company
- Owner/builder Alex Hadden

Hodgdon Yachts
- Tim Hodgdon (*5th generation still running & operating it)

Hollands Boat Shop
- Glen Holland owner / operator

John Williams Boat Company - Still owned & run by Jock Williams..

Maine Cat
- Family run, owned and operated.

etc. etc. on and on

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Except that we were in Essex, on Cape Ann, in Massachusetts... which Maine used to be a part of a long time ago. :D
Maine Sail, Hal..

Thank you..

Initially I was goind to say..."well..you haven't seen much around the World"..

Then I sat down..remembered the day I spent with Dan in MAine, the boat yards I saw, the museum, the boats...

I decided..I have to give it to him...some of the best looking if not the best looking boats in the Worls, did come out of Maine...NO QUESTION ABOUT IT...

We have some really nice ones...but not at such rate of production

Thank you..

Alex

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
Except that we were in Essex, on Cape Ann, in Massachusetts... which Maine used to be a part of a long time ago. :D

ehhh...close enough. at least he wasn't in Nebraska or Kansas or some other flat, land-locked state still.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
ehhh...close enough. at least he wasn't in Nebraska or Kansas or some other flat, land-locked state still.
LOL... yeah, I can see how Cape Ann and Maine could be confused, they're fairly similar in many ways, and about the same distance from where he was in NH. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts