SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Have an opportunity to take friend's 36' sailboat - draft 6 1/2, fin keel, to Rockland, Maine from Cape Cod. Only have 7 days. Prefer to do day trips. What ports would be recommended? (Concerned about lobster pots). Can make Cape Ann the first day. Can we make it through with the currents/depth or go around? Have sailed our own boat from Cape Cod to Bahamas many times but never to Maine.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Cape Ann - Isle of Shoals or York Harbor (entrance on a slack or near slack tide) - Portland - Boothbay - Hog Island - Tennants Harbor - Rockland. Most are easy days. There are many, many other nice places to stop between Portland and Rockland.

If you're concerned about lobbie pots, don't come to ME. They're everywhere. Just stay sharp and avoid them if you can. Be especially vigilant around high tide as some pots will be just below the water's surface.
A wet suit and a sharp knife might come in handy.

Fog's the other big worry. If the boat has radar, GPS and a chart plotter you can move around at slow speed without much difficulty. Stay vigilant.
Radar and GPS is good if you're fast with your chart work. Radar makes everything much easier. Without it, you need to go really slow with ears wide open and a look out on the bow fog horn in hand.

Have fun. Maine's a beautiful place when you can see it.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
No...no lobster pots here. I sail out of Muscongus Bay (Friendship, ME). Friendship has one of the largest lobster fleets left in Maine...and the waters are THICK with buoys. We joke we could walk across the bay on the buoys...

But, if you're careful and keep a sharp lookout, they are usually not a problem.

Sailing is better as there is no spinning prop and shaft to catch warp. There is not a day sailing we don't run over a pot, but usually in such a way, it slides along the hull w/out catching. So far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts